Close

Default Crazy Exhaust Idea for 82 GT

As part of my winter project this year (pulling motor to re-gasket and detail) I am pulling the original exhaust to preserve it....as it has a leak somewhere that is getting worse. I have a complete dual exhaust kit to put on the car...factory headers, 86+ midpipe, mufflers and LMR 2.5" tailpipes. The one part I struggle with is losing the factory single/dual tailpipe look. I have a take-off tailpipe from an 83/84 GT that I could use on the DS....is it feasible or just plain silly to use an axle dump on the PS to preserve the look? This would also eliminate having to rework the brake line I believe.

Just thinking out loud at this point....am I crazy? Are there any functionality/performance (not talking high performance mind you) ramifications to this idea? Anyone ever done this and have any input on how it sounded....thinking it could sound kinda strange depending on what side of the car you are on.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Dumping just over the axle on the passenger side will drastically increase the sound coming from the exhaust on that side. The tail pipe length gives night and day changes in the exhaust note.

A few years ago I made a video of a pull from 1000-5500 RPM in my 86GT with the rear section of the tailpipe thats removable with MAC tailpipes off. It’s DAMN loud. About 70% of the noise level you get with dumps.

Recently I did a 1000-6150 pull with the tail pipes on. WAY quieter even though the car was turning a lot more RPM and making a lot more power on the 2nd pull.

I can’t remember what all there is to deal with on the earlier cars, but on my car dumping just over the axle on the passenger side is a terrible idea as that is where the fuel lines are at and near the brake line too.

A skilled exhaust shop could route over the axle and between the diff and the tank and bring it out right beside the other pipe on the left side. Keep the appearance while ditching the restriction

good luck with your project!

I'm planning on running a single 3" pipe on my '83 GT. Intend to 'y' the pipe behind the trans mount, using headers and a modified H-pipe into a 3" muffler and Stinger tailpipe. Then do twin 2.25" or 2.5" tips on the left side. Won't need to change brake line routing, or need other hangers.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

My stock looking 84 GT350 had this same set up and it looked original but sounded great. I would totally do it again. I couldn't notice any significant difference in the sound from left to right.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Dumping just over the axle on the passenger side will drastically increase the sound coming from the exhaust on that side. The tail pipe length gives night and day changes in the exhaust note.

A few years ago I made a video of a pull from 1000-5500 RPM in my 86GT with the rear section of the tailpipe thats removable with MAC tailpipes off. It’s DAMN loud. About 70% of the noise level you get with dumps.

Recently I did a 1000-6150 pull with the tail pipes on. WAY quieter even though the car was turning a lot more RPM and making a lot more power on the 2nd pull.

I can’t remember what all there is to deal with on the earlier cars, but on my car dumping just over the axle on the passenger side is a terrible idea as that is where the fuel lines are at and near the brake line too.

A skilled exhaust shop could route over the axle and between the diff and the tank and bring it out right beside the other pipe on the left side. Keep the appearance while ditching the restriction

good luck with your project!
    The dump would be at the muffler...so in front of the axle.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    My stock looking 84 GT350 had this same set up and it looked original but sounded great. I would totally do it again. I couldn't notice any significant difference in the sound from left to right.
    So you had true duals with the passenger muffler dumped right before the axle? Very interesting, and thanks for confirming. Do you have any pics by chance?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    I'm planning on running a single 3" pipe on my '83 GT. Intend to 'y' the pipe behind the trans mount, using headers and a modified H-pipe into a 3" muffler and Stinger tailpipe. Then do twin 2.25" or 2.5" tips on the left side. Won't need to change brake line routing, or need other hangers.
    I've seen an 82 done this way several years ago at a local car show. Upon inspection under the car there were no modifications to the brake lines or such. Never heard it run but thought it was a good way to get that stock look. Have some pictures somewhere and have changed phones since then.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Member

Unless you really want that 100% stock look for shows or whatever I would just use the 2.5” dual tail pipes and call it good. In my opinion this was the best looking exhaust system of any late model Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    So you had true duals with the passenger muffler dumped right before the axle? Very interesting, and thanks for confirming. Do you have any pics by chance?
    Sorry Jason, I sold the car last year and didn't get any pics of the underside or exhaust.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

This is a curious mod to me on this car considering what you use it for. However, it's your car and I'm not pretending I will get mad about it getting modified or whatever. Personally I don't like stock cars. I like tasteful mods that genuinely have a purpose. I have installed OEM headers, H-pipe and duals on I forgot how many cars over the years. It CLEARLY and obviously has a purpose and advantage over the OEM setup. For me, I just think the dual tailpipe (one on each side) look is pretty much as good as it ever got. But that is not your idea, it's mine.

I have never tried this or seen it tried but is there any way to turn it really sharp after the passenger side axle and run it across the front of the gas tank in between the tank and axle and then actually run two tailpipes down the driver's side?

Yeah, those would be sharp bends but I can't imagine it could hurt power worse than one side having a dump and the other not. Not to mention I am willing to bet this car will never be strapped to a dyno anyway. The internet is full of opinions and mine is even though I've never heard it I will GUARANTEE that would sound odd to me from behind the car. Not to mention just generally bug the OCD side of me. The only issue I can think of (and I've been under PLENTY of Fox cars) is a proper hanger that keeps it from banging. I realize the axle moves but I think it's a least possible. I would have to try and see.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.

FEP Senior Member

I think the early GT's/SVO's look cool with the twin tip on the drivers side when looking at the car from the drivers side. When looking at the car from the pass side or the rear I always feel like something is missing on the passenger side. I think the dual polished LX pipes make any 79-93 look and sound best. Only advice I have on this matter is to try to find some oem 2.25 LX tails. The tooling is wrong on all the LX tailpipes. They either hang too low, walk out from the sides of the car etc... The factory pipes or early Flowmaster pipes look best. I believe the LX pipes you have are Pypes rebranded by LMR.

Part of creative sporty car styling.
    Side pipes were popular in the 60's.
    Cuda AAR/Challenger T/A, 2000 Mustang Cobra R, newer Mustang Boss, have side exit exhaust.
    Nascar with oval tubing crossovers.
    Subframe connectors pretty much rule out routing pipes out the side before rear wheel.
    Many new cars have fuel tanks midship, independent rear, and muffler(s) aft, stubby tails split off muffler.

Nothing wrong with dump. Did it for years, driver side (single muffler) before reinstalling twin tips.
    Adding extra hangers was no problem. Any added system support is a plus.
    Dumps eventually soot up the area behind them. Plus heat traveling back over the tank and brake lines.
    Monoxide can seep from under car inside.
    Hang a non functional pass tailpipe just for looks. Or connect with shielded 1" pipe to make 'smoke' come out?
    One choice is convert brake and fuel lines to later model config.
    Or install new single system with dual tips.
    With aftermarket dual tips, have to add hanger to them or they will swing and bang.
    Wire hanger can be welded to them. Body hanger can be converted to later rubber donut style.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    The dump would be at the muffler...so in front of the axle.
    Would depend upon the muffler, but one like a flowmaster series 40 is damn loud dumped with no tail pipes.

Granted part of the noise for me is the 1 5/8” headers into 2 1/2” collectors and through high flow cars, etc.

Default 84 single 3"

xcvxName:  2_1 exhaust labelled.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  89.2 KBName:  3in tail pipe.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  72.2 KB

I have done this 2 into approach and I am very please fits nice, sound great.
    Last edited by gry84GT; 10-31-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    'BP 347, Weiand 8124, 1.6rr, 4180, shorty headers, 2:1 3" exhaust, 7.5" 3.73,
    http://s875.photobucket.com/user/pet...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by gry84GT View Post
    xcvxName:  2_1 exhaust labelled.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  89.2 KBName:  3in tail pipe.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  72.2 KB

I have done this 2 into approach and I am very please fits nice, sound great.
    I've had the same idea on my coupe. It still has the stock carb turbo cat, muffler, and tail pipe connected to a V8 y-pipe that came off of the V8 donor car. I like that look and have been thinking of ways to retain that layout. I was thinking of using an X-pipe and have the passenger side pipe removed at the X and welded closed. A stock style cat back exhaust for drivers side and my stock dual tip in place of the standard one.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981