Close

FEP Power Member

Default Charcoal grey or dark grey mustang pics please

Hey guys, I'm going to repaint my car soon, I want to go with a charcoal grey, but unsure what shade of dark grey I want to go with, any pics with color codes and paint names would be great, thanks

Name:  SVO.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  104.5 KB

This is my 84 svo. It is Dark Charcoal metallic. Code 9W
    I took this pic in the afternoon with the sun to my back. You can see the black on the bumper as a contrast. The color is awesome I the sunshine but on a cloudy day it's kinda bland looking.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 10-18-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Fix Picture
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I painted mine a few months ago with Rust-Oleum Charcoal grey out of a spray can, looks good for a 20 footer.

(Go ahead and burn me at the stake)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

Tiptop,
    You asked for some better daylight pics of my car in my build thread a few days ago, went ahead a posted here. This was about the best I could muster this weekend.

This is 1985 Medium Charcoal (Code 1B)

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

Same color as above but nowhere near as nice...

Name:  wheels on my car.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  112.6 KB
    '85 GT

Thanks, qikgts. I'd say your car looks pretty nice as well. Is it still wearing the original paint? Yours seems a bit darker than mine, but might just be the lighting differences.

Probably should have noted in my post above that mine is not the original paint, obviously. It was mixed at my local paint shop to the 1B code, but I can't say for sure how exact it is. It is also clearcoated.
    Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Thanks, qikgts. I'd say your car looks pretty nice as well. Is it still wearing the original paint? Yours seems a bit darker than mine, but might just be the lighting differences.
    Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it!

My car was painted at least more than 8 years ago, which was when I got it. If I had to guess I'd say 12 years ago or longer was when it was done. It really needs to be blown apart and taken all the way back to metal (to make it really right) as it's flaking in a few areas and it's got a fair amount of "garage rash" along with what I can only guess is some minor/poor hail damage repair on the roof. That may have been why it was painted to begin with as the underside shows zero evidence of a sorted past.

It matches the jambs and all the hidden spots pretty good, but not exactly; I think the color is really close to right though and it is single stage.

I have zero budget to repaint it right now but this winter it will get the trim touched up and maybe a few spots blended in to cover up the flaking/rash spots. My '90 vert is still in pieces and MUST get done or else my better half is going to finally lose it... lol She hates parking outside and has lots of good reasons to...
    '85 GT

My old 92 painted Dark Shadow Grey

Name:  IMG_0832.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  186.8 KB
    05 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Same color as above but nowhere near as nice...

Name:  wheels on my car.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  112.6 KB
    With the exception of the wheels this car looks a lot more correct. The belt trim is a charcoal grey, not black.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

True, my black trim is not correct. That was me being different, I liked the contrast better.
    Thomas

FEP Supporter

Its a toss up on the trim for me. Looks good either way with this color.

Below is one of the cars Dennis Collins sold early this year. Like 8000 original miles so I guess the paint is too.

Name:  dennis-collins-brings-16-awesome-foxbodies-to-auction-in-scottsdale-0008.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  58.2 KB

Cheesy how they photochopped the front plate... lol
    '85 GT