Close

Default New on the forums, long time lurker..

Hello Folks. This is a little long for an opening post, but here goes anyway.

My name is Philip and I live and work in Hanover, Pa. I've been lurking around here and the other internet Fox forums for a while. Over the past several years more and more I've been itching to buy another Fox and build it up the way I did mine done back in the days. I owned an '84 GT TRX with T-Roof 3.08, and T-5, with a handful of odd option combinations. My other Fox, and favorite of the 2 was the '85 Capri RS, 5.0 with T-Roof, 2.73, and a T-5. Both Foxes were finished in Bright Red upper with the Dk Gray below the belt line, Grey cloth Halo seat interior. Both were spoiler equipped with aluminum rear louvers.

My wife always calls my old Capri 'your unicorn' , because neither of us ,in all of our travels or on the web have ever seen another car like it. It started life as a 5.0 5 speed T-roof car, was optioned with delete audio, making it pretty rare to see another one like it. It was also a factory delete AC car, equipped with power windows, no power locks, no power mirrors, factory rear defog, no cruise control, included delay wipers, 10 hole alloys, and tilt wheel the only other convenience options. We're not sure if there ever was another built like exactly like it. I do have the VIN number but no other information. I would like to track the car down, if possible find out how many like it Mercury made. Perhaps with the VIN we can get a build sheet, learn who was delivery dealer, the first, and current owner/location? You all here are the experts on these cars, so you tell me what I can do to find out what with the VIN number. I'd like to find my car, really, and see if I can pry it away from it's current owner, if it is still out there on the road. in a yard or garage, and not junked, wrecked, or parted out and crushed. She was a pretty fast car in it's time and ran mid 11 seconds on street slicks. Not bad for a daily driver in the early '90s, and many people wanted to get their hands on it. Today, I know why

Of all the cars I've owned before and after (the list is long and distinguished..points for the movie reference!), none gave me the thrill , that made me 'stoked' when driving the way my Capri RS did. The 84 GT comes in close second in the race over all the cars I've owned since I a kid.

Folks reading this know what I am talking about. There was/is something special about the Four Eyed Foxes, their style, super light weight, with loads of potential and even aftermarket support and design. In the 80's as today, this made them the best looking best bang for the buck, period . Sure, there are certain caveat's needing addressed before coaxing serious power from them, less you twist the car into a pretzel trying to hook up. That path is well detailed everywhere, I won't go over all of what I did to my cars in this post. That being said, the light weight combined with aforesaid necessary modifications and power enhancements, allows a Fox to run with, even outperform some of the fastest muscle cars still being made today. These Foxes didn't need 850 horsepower to perform as the current crop of overweight muscle cars do. A well handling properly modified Fox can still be built using the plethora of off the shelf body, suspension and steering parts being made for it today, without a serious compromise in comfort, or sacrifice of safety or every day drivability. Best of all, relatively speaking, the costs to build up a Fox today is very reasonable. Many parts can be purchased for peanuts used, if you know what to look for and not to buy used! This is especially true when compared to other cars out there, yesterday or today. Near limitless combinations now exist to custom build these cars any way you want them.

I'm currently looking to buy another Four Eye Fox, like either of those I owned. What I really want is the Capri RS more than the GT. I am seriously 150% committed to locating and purchasing one, no matter where I have to go. My current toy for last 18 years is a 1981 Corvette C3..It's running a healthy 383 stroker Chevy motor, modified 350 Turbo Hydramatic trans and 3.73 Dana IRS//with a curb weight of approximately 3050 pounds. It is a seriously fun car to drive that handles well, now having the power those cars should have been equipped with, instead of an anemic 190 hp smogger it came with. Mine is a fully loaded example, with low miles (61,xxx) in Dark Corvette Blue Metallic clearcoat. Repainted to its original color and finish, being a low production number example, it is one of the first Corvettes made in the then-new Bowling Green Kentucky facility. It displays a near flawless fiberglass body and urethane bumpers underneath it's paint, as well as it's original bonding strips on all 4 quarters, a rust free frame, floors, and bird cage.I have thoroughly and continue to enjoy.

To show how serious I am, I've put the car up for sale to fund my next and maybe last toy, a Capri RS, same as I had thru the 90's. If a 84-85 Capri GT comes along before or after wards, I'd probably want to pick it up as well. You all know, owning one of these cars means they tend to multiply quickly, like rabbits. Thats is not different from owning a Corvette, especially C3's, as they also tend to multiply like rabbits, .. I'm no stranger to the phenomenon.

I've spent over 25 years working on cars for a living, (it's closer to 30 really).,,,then decided to hang up my wrenches, professionally anyway, start my own business repairing and restoring vintage audio equipment made between 1955 and 1990. I collect LP records and cassette tapes as well as CD's and the gear that goes along with playing said formats. Analog is my thing, and I really love analog tape, I have multiple reel to reel decks, once that guys my age drooled over when new but could not afford in the 70's and 80's. I've collected and continue to buy new over 3000 LP's ( vinyls as the kids call 'em) and run several different turntables with playing thru custom hand made phono and step up stages ( for those who are interested and know analog vinyl). Sports cars and audio can both be expensive hobbies. I'm blessed to have ability to repair or restore audio gear and automobiles. As everyone knows, if you rely on paying someone else to do the work, you are bound for disappointment.. Aside from paint and body (finish work before the paint stage), I can do most of the work, including upholstery myself. If not, like many here, I could not afford to pay someone else to do the work.

I do still work on cars, mostly for friends and family now, you know stuff you can't get out of, as well as my own stuff and the occasional side job. While I don't make as much working on audio gear as I did working automobiles, it's enough to pay bills and allow my hobbies such as they are. Business is still pretty new, but things have been steady expanding since we opened up for business. This all started with me doing my own work because I didn't trust others to do it right, and I don't like to wait months or years to get the work done and back in my hands. So I'm just a tad impatient as well, that's why I don't do paint and body finishing. Working for yourself requires some patience and drive, if not you end up sitting around all day posting to the forums instead of getting work done.

So I better run and get some work done. A Capri RS isn't going to pay for itself, ya know...

Peace.

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site! Good luck in your search. Check out the classifieds here as well as keep tabs on the FYI ads in the for sale section. Lots of members post up links etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!