Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

The PIP is super cheap and easy... once you get the distributor gear off. What a pain. I assume a quick and dirty autozone replacement distributor is out of the question? You cannot buy one that fits my engine but you may be in more luck if the cfi 6 was a common motor.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

that would make a great opportunity to start digging into the parts pile of the spare 86 3.8 i got... for free. the guy went and LS swapped his so i got his old six

Thinking about rebuilding that motor and beefing it up a little, thoughts on that?
    Ray

1986 Mustang "Frankenstang" '03 IRS 3.8 CFI
    1997 Crown Victoria, partially Grand Marquis

No, not at all familiar with the block or heads.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

might toy around with converting to carb... seems easier to do than mpfi, considering we may have to replace the fuel pump anyway...

stalled out in a closed loop too, never brought that up. Gonna run it again tonight and let it warm up a little.

Looking back at the thread, I noticed I mentioned that the O2 sensors were likely original... I was wrong, also done nearly 14 years ago when the first problem came up, along with cap and rotor, ruled out. Unless they failed, gonna look at PIP later as well.
    Last edited by 86frankenstang; 05-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Ray

pip should send a code to the computer so after warm up that may be the best start. pulling the distributor sucks. If you go carb you will have to get a new ignition system anyway...

https://youtu.be/P3IV1dSg0gE

this is from a cold start.

about 3 minutes in I put it through drive and reverse... you can see what happened there, then shut it off, disconnected the spout, started again. later on i'll go through and take a look at the spare stuff. might put the old ecm in tomorrow to see if that makes any real difference.
    Ray

Wow... Are you sure your timing chain didn't skip? What rpm is that idle at? It sounds like the timing is 15 degrees retarded.

Default N/A 3.8 CFI woes

i really want to do timing again, it may have skipped.

the "closed" idle is at 1k, jumps down to about 600-ish. in drive it's probably at about 300. not real positive what rpm the intervals are for the dashes between 0 and 1k

this wasn't taken last night, but it's the only picture i had of the tach, idle in park sat above the second dash, idle in gear sat on the first.
    Last edited by 86frankenstang; 05-21-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    Ray

FEP Senior Member

Refer to post #23 if you are looking for a quality, cheap distributor to drop in.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Yeah, check that timing, or even just advance it without looking and see if it improves. That popping really sounds like super late spark.

haven't really done anything on the car this week, been on top of the vic to get rid of it.

but i have started cleaning up that 3.8 i got awhile ago. going to rebuild it, or at least do what i can in terms of cleaning it over the rest of my school year. Really just doing this to learn and improve. I'd have both heads, all pistons, and Intake cleaned up by now but i've been distracted by other things... gonna try to bring the block over when i'm almost done cleaning what i have there right now.
    Ray

Okay.

finally got around to doing fuel pressure and compression.

fuel was at 40 PSI

compression was from 160-170 PSI all around.

also ran codes

10-cyl 1 low (ran KOEO so that's irrelevant)
    22- EVP out of range
    31- MAP out of range (just replaced that last summer.)
    Ray

Did you advance the timing and give it a go? Glad the compression looks good. Did you make sure that MAP has a good ground? No plumbers tape on that thing?

the MAP was fine, looked in order. did notice the EVP solenoid off the connector a bit while i had the overflow and MAP off. Thing runs "rich as hell" according to the plugs, soaked in gasoline again. put the old EVP back on the EGR valve (which looked 17x better than the one from my parts engine.) Advanced timing slightly, went to try to turn it over *CLUNK* retarded the timing a few degrees, same result. soon enough, the battery was dead and pushed back into the garage for tonight.

I polished it and got the breakout box attached though.
    it really is the little things.
    Last edited by 86frankenstang; 06-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Ray

so

finally went out to the garage to check things out and put the battery on the charger. first thing was to take off the cap and look at the rotor, put the crank on TDC and took a look...

it was over 30° off... matched the cyl 1 wire on the cap and aligned it with the rotor.

fired off real nice... then worse... then worse... then stalled out. every single time trying to fire it'd stall out almost immediately. Pretty rich but it's not doing any good when given gas.
    Ray

Is it off again? Your distributor gear could be toast.

For what it’s worth I suspect a fueling problem

verify fuel pressure while driving

A wide band may shed a lot of light on this stuff

is your distributor playing nice and advancing like it should — check it with a timing light and rev it a bit

drop your exhaust at after the manifolds and O2 somewhere before the cat and go for a spin — if it’s all better it’s exhaust related
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-13-2019 at 10:49 PM.

i am going with the gear. check that timing again. bet it is off.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    For what it’s worth I suspect a fueling problem

verify fuel pressure while driving

A wide band may shed a lot of light on this stuff

is your distributor playing nice and advancing like it should — check it with a timing light and rev it a bit

drop your exhaust at after the manifolds and O2 somewhere before the cat and go for a spin — if it’s all better it’s exhaust related
    i literally cannot rev the motor at all, nor can it move under its own power, might consider dropping the exhaust actually.
    Ray

not until you check the timing again.

timing is fine. two full rotations to TDC = wire 1 on the rotor. ran it, good, eh, not good at all. missed like crazy still. Advanced about 10°, no luck. going to proceed with dropping exhaust sometime
    Ray

crazy. does it still have cats etc?

still has original exhaust system all the way up to the cats, it was removed there after the IRS was done and never figured out a plan to finish it. O2 sensors were replaced after the swap was done though
    Ray

any chance a rat crawled in there and died?

Coupe of things to think about - the TAB/TAD solenoids on the fender apron (drivers side, at least on a 5.0 CFI) can dry rot out, not set a code, and fail to control air injection properly resulting in some symptoms you list. As another poster mentioned, PIP can be bad, not hard to R&R. Finally, the bearings in the distributer could be bad, pull it and see if there is play.

On your spare engine, if I recall correctly the later V6 heads e,g, Windstar/Freestar/2001+ Mustang had better combustion chamber shapes and port shapes, sort of after the GT40P redesign. People swap the 4.2 liter crank in from the truck V6, probably too large a change for CFI but the heads should work. There was a place in upstate NY that was practically giving away NOS completely assembled late V6 cylinder heads, will see if I still have their info.

If anyone ditches their 5.0 CFI for something else am looking for the engine harness (portion that is actually on the engine, to the connectors near the firewall)
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast