Close

Default another fuel pump

Hello, all:

Once again it is time for another fuel pump replacement. Seems about every 20,000 miles or just under, I have to replace it. No idea why. Its been that way since I bought the thing twenty years ago. 1986 GT.

Does anyone have any ideas why these things fail so often? For what its worth, two years ago the entire fuel system was replaced except the pump as Rockauto sent me the wrong one. So right now the pump is four years old with about 16,000 on it.

Which pump to use for a stock factory set up? I've used Bosch before a few times. The current pump is a Denso unit. The Bosch pump may not work as it doesn't have the correct terminals. What did Ford originally use? Does anyone recommend any other brand? Should I consider replacing the entire pump and hangar assembly this time?

Thanks for the help. Might get a few miles on it before Winter.

Cheers.

My oem pump was a Bosch. It lasted 318k miles. Every pump since has been a giant pile of crap. I have Litterly ran 3 pumps in a day from different parts stores because they put out less pressure new out of the box then the one I was replacing it with.

Anything with an airtek part number, stay away from. I am 4 of 4 being dead on those. 3 of them didnt have enough pressure to start the car, one lasted 25 miles.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Super Member

Walbro makes a good reliable pump .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I also agree on the Walbro. Got one a couple decades old now. I did have 2 Airtek pumps before (on the same car at the same time, it was a GT Turbo which have 2 fuel pumps). Both of them worked out of the box and lived 5 years and I'm not sure how many miles. I didn't drive it often but didn't have any issues in that time. Then I sold it. They fit good, I can say that.
    I have never heard of anyone having that many problems. So I might look at other root causes. You know it's hard on them to run them low on fuel all the time, right? The fuel cools the pumps for one thing. Are you replacing the sock at the same time I guess? Have you had the tank professionally cleaned? Are you replacing the fuel filter often enough? Pushing fuel through a clogged filter will burn one up. Have you actually measured that the voltage the pump is receiving is within the specified range and verified the ground? Low voltage will burn one up. Do you have an evil ex-wife who is out to destroy your life and pours sand in your tank at night perhaps?
    Last edited by homer302; 10-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Lol, your funny. Google airtek pump failures. They are so common airtek has even been going into forums and trying prove they are reliable by showing that nearly half of all returned pumps are within spec. Spec for a ford airtek pump is a maximum of 40psi, yet the stock pump pushes between 60-80psi.

My walbro (rebadged as a bbk) put out 95 psi new, the first airtek put out 18psi, the 30 year old pump I replaced put out 20psi.

Ask the guy at AutoZone how many get returned. My buddy that worked there said he warned people not to buy them and 75-90% of the time, they were back within a day to return them.
    1 1987 cougar

You cannot run these cars low on gas. Low fuel light is too low. Especially in hot weather. Gas is what cools the pump and when you get low heat build up!

The problem is made 10x worse by running too large of a pump. The stock lines cause pressure buildup that cannot be regulated whenthe pump is too big.

Generally a 190 is all that’s ever needed with a N/A build. If you need more, upgrade the fuel lines and in pump hanger, etc.

Have had good luck with walbro. Mcparts store pumps SUCK! Don’t buy one unless you are stranded.

Since the car isn't used too often, I replace the fuel filter once a year. I try not to let the tank get too low. I do have a new sender unit in the tank and my low fuel light almost never comes on now. But the gauge sometimes moves around. I returned home recently with 'more' gas than I had in the tank when I left. Not much more. I'll check the voltage and ground when I replace the pump and the screen. And a new filter. Looks like Walbro is popular. If I recall, the stock pump was rated at somewhere near 25 gallons a minute or so. Fuel pressure runs right in spec on the car. 39psi KOEO and 34 KOER. Or close. With a new correct factory pressure regulator. Thanks again for the info.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Lol, your funny. Google airtek pump failures. They are so common airtek has even been going into forums and trying prove they are reliable by showing that nearly half of all returned pumps are within spec. Spec for a ford airtek pump is a maximum of 40psi, yet the stock pump pushes between 60-80psi.

My walbro (rebadged as a bbk) put out 95 psi new, the first airtek put out 18psi, the 30 year old pump I replaced put out 20psi.

Ask the guy at AutoZone how many get returned. My buddy that worked there said he warned people not to buy them and 75-90% of the time, they were back within a day to return them.
    Goodness gracious. I will give you a hug next time we are close. I only stated my experience and even said that it did not have hardly any miles on it. I'm not sure how you got this from what I said???

The last person on the planet I trust is someone from AutoZone anyway. It's fun to go in there though and ask for anything at all that can't be found on a computer screen. The day someone that works at Autozone can provide me the definition of 90% of anything is the day I buy a lottery ticket and retire.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    You cannot run these cars low on gas. Low fuel light is too low. Especially in hot weather. Gas is what cools the pump and when you get low heat build up!

The problem is made 10x worse by running too large of a pump. The stock lines cause pressure buildup that cannot be regulated whenthe pump is too big.

Generally a 190 is all that’s ever needed with a N/A build. If you need more, upgrade the fuel lines and in pump hanger, etc.

Have had good luck with walbro. Mcparts store pumps SUCK! Don’t buy one unless you are stranded.
    Erratic is all over it. See above and his feelings are not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Goodness gracious. I will give you a hug next time we are close. I only stated my experience and even said that it did not have hardly any miles on it. I'm not sure how you got this from what I said???

The last person on the planet I trust is someone from AutoZone anyway. It's fun to go in there though and ask for anything at all that can't be found on a computer screen. The day someone that works at Autozone can provide me the definition of 90% of anything is the day I buy a lottery ticket and retire.
    I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to sound rude, it just came acrossed that way.

And yeah, AutoZone guys usually don't know anything. What pissed me off, my buddy that worked there needed a job and applied after I did. He knew nothing about cars and they made him a manager within 2 months.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post

I'm the last person on the planet you trust? Airtex pumps are pretty much junk. We carry Delphi now and they seem to be somewhat better. They have a lifetime warranty at least. I would still rather have a Walbro, but we don't sell them. The lottery is over 1 billion right now btw.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Im running a Carter 110lph on mine. Works perfect.
    1985 GT- “Stock-ish” 5.0 motor, AOD/ trans brake. 12.68 @ 10131mph.

Whatever you do don’t put a big pump in it if the rest of the fuel system is stock. I did that and ran into the exact issue in this video. Replaced it with the 110lph pump and all my troubles went away.
    https://youtu.be/Ium8jf4Jm04
    1985 GT- “Stock-ish” 5.0 motor, AOD/ trans brake. 12.68 @ 10131mph.

Yep - big problems with the large pumps and a stock hanger.