Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage heater

Default Garage heater

Just built a new garage but won't have a natural gas line ran till next year. What's everyone using for heaters? Have temporary 110v going to garage now. Propane? Kerosene? Electric heater? Plan to tear my 84 down to the shell this winter so heat is needed!
    84 Mustang LX 351W
    Weiand Stealth
    Edelbrock 1406
    BBK Shorties
    O/R H pipe
    Super 40s
    8.8 3.27 gears

If you can get a propane heater that could be converted to natural gas, then you wouldn't need to buy another heater later.
    You definitely don't want to have an open-flame heater in a garage--insurance won't cover you if they think gas fumes can could ignite, and if you burn it down some other way they may still use it as an excuse.

Another advantage of a lot of the wall-hung monitor dual-fuel types is they run without electricity, saving your temporary 110 for air compressors, battery chargers, and the electric space heater you'll be moving to wherever you are in there.

While you could use a couple portable kerosene heaters and ignore the insurance (I did that for years), you have to fill them, you have to clean them, they leave soot everywhere, and then you have to decide what to do with them later. After the 10th time I had to go to the gas station on a 0* day to fill up a jug to fill up a heater that had burnt out overnight, and start heating the garage so I could work on the car, so I wouldn't be able to do any real work for 5-6 hours, and then my cold numb fingers splashed kerosene so the garage reeked all day...I'll take propane any day. 100 gallon tank with a gauge and delivery.

When I was working on my house pre-insulation and pre-big-tank, I bought several 40-pound (twice the size of a barbecue tank) propane tanks and rigged them to wall heaters that were hung on whatever walls I was working on. When the house was insulated and the walls were whole again, I installed one heater in my workshop, sold the other to a friend for his hunting camp with one of the tanks, and the other tank means I can a) get the bulk price for propane when I fill it, and b) go twice as long as my friends when barbecuing. If I convert to natural gas (they've been promising my street will get the gas lines every summer since 2010) I can just change the heaters (and my stove, and my dryer) over to natural gas and I won't have to buy any new gear. In fact, I'll be able to ditch the tank and sell my hookup gear to anyone around me with a camp in the woods.

165K BTU rolling kerosene blow heater will make quick work of heating your shop for temporary heating.

They are portable, good ones burn clean with little to no kerosene smell, 110 volts, not that expensive to purchase, many other places to use your new blow heater besides the shop and you will not need to run it very much at all to heat a garage/shop freeing up your 110 volt outlets if your are still power limited.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 10-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

If your plan is to add a natural gas line at a later date, then I would spend the $$ up front and buy a ceiling mounted heating unit. Go ahead and install where you plan on your gas line coming in. Then you can use a temporary line to connect to a propane tank for the time being. Obviously you have to swap the orifice tube/line for propane, but that's an easy fix. This gets the unit off the floor and out of the way. Then when you install your natural gas line you are done and don't have to make any changes. I have a unit of this type in my 4 car tandem garage in CO and it works great. No fumes or smells to deal with. Mounted dropped down from the ceiling slightly so I don't trip over it or have any issues with it being in the way. I generally I leave it set at 40 degrees when I am not going to be working in the garage for a couple of days or more and then at 50 degrees when I plan on working in there the next day. Takes about 15-20 minutes to heat the garage back up to about 62-65 degrees when I start working in there which is a temperature I like. Just warm enough that my hands don't get cold and I don't sweat.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Mines in floor radiant, but I'm guessing its too late for you to go that route. Second best would be overhead infrared radiant heat.

FEP Power Member

Go for the propane as a temporary set up and convert later to natural gas. Propane might not be cheap and hopefully you can rent the tank. It will save you money in the long run when switching to natural gas.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

What do you mean when you say you are having 110 run "temporarily"? Does that translate to English as an extension cord? Not sure how you "temporarily" run power to a garage. My real point is I have an electric one that I love a ton and could recommend but it would not run on an extension cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    You definitely don't want to have an open-flame heater in a garage--insurance won't cover you if they think gas fumes can could ignite, and if you burn it down some other way they may still use it as an excuse.
    If you are anywhere near Charlotte, NC stop on by and we tour about 2,000,000 homes with a gas-fired hot water heater in the garage. Every one is covered by insurance I can assure you. Every commercial garage and car dealership I have ever been in is heated by gas-fired heaters that are normally ceiling mounted. A flame has to be more than 18 inches off the floor (gasoline fumes settle on the floor) which is why today they are all installed on top of a pedestal mount that is TA-DA more than 18 inches off the floor. Tank-top propane tank mounted heaters are OUTSTANDING at heating and most come with an adjustible level so you can raise and lower the temperature. They are not super cheap at $100-120 but not stupid expensive either. I used them for years with great success. And in some places propane is a lot easier to find than kerosene. Not many gas stations have kerosene any more.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-12-2018 at 06:47 PM.

I used a couple 110v electric ir heaters run on a 15a circuit. They easily kept my garage heated, but were really expensive to run. This year I bought one of these Name:  20181007_151731.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  73.6 KB at menards. Its gas or lp so you can switch it. I think it was about $120. Oh, and nice to see another iowa boy here

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    If you are anywhere near Charlotte, NC stop on by and we tour about 2,000,000 homes with a gas-fired hot water heater in the garage. Every one is covered by insurance I can assure you. Every commercial garage and car dealership I have ever been in is heated by gas-fired heaters that are normally ceiling mounted. A flame has to be more than 18 inches off the floor (gasoline fumes settle on the floor) which is why today they are all installed on top of a pedestal mount that is TA-DA more than 18 inches off the floor. Tank-top propane tank mounted heaters are OUTSTANDING at heating and most come with an adjustible level so you can raise and lower the temperature. They are not super cheap at $100-120 but not stupid expensive either. I used them for years with great success. And in some places propane is a lot easier to find than kerosene. Not many gas stations have kerosene any more.
    Maybe in Charlotte...in NY I had a lot of arguments with 2 different insurance companies over a natural gas fired heater like 2nd Chance Cobra showed in his post, even mounted with the bottom 2 feet off the floor.
    I just kept using the kerosene portables, and putting them in the storage room when the insurance people visited, rather than spend big money on a place I was renting.

Oddly, they didn't have a problem with my neighbor's pellet stove in the garage, as it had an outside air intake...guess there's no gas fumes when you're cleaning out the coals? The door (cleanout) gasket never leaks? It was directly on the concrete and he was using his garage as a commercial auto shop. Never made sense to me.

I've been using this heater for the past 11 years:

I'm not saying it's the best option nor do I want to get into an argument about open flame heaters in the garage, all I'm saying is it's worked well for me. It puts out a lot of heat and never gives me any problems. I did find that running it on diesel fuel is far better than kerosene as there is almost no smell and diesel in more readily available where I live.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I've been using this heater for the past 11 years:

I'm not saying it's the best option nor do I want to get into an argument about open flame heaters in the garage, all I'm saying is it's worked well for me. It puts out a lot of heat and never gives me any problems. I did find that running it on diesel fuel is far better than kerosene as there is almost no smell and diesel in more readily available where I live.
    Those are the ones I used while I was trying to get the insurance to accept the natural gas wall-hung ones. Of course, I never TOLD the insurance folks that I was running them in there. They worked great; if I was working on anything I thought might be combustible I'd open the garage door 10", put the heaters in the other bay, and use a fan to blow the warm air in (my garage at the time had 2 bays that were completely separate rooms with a sliding door between them).

I used them later when I was renovating my current house; 150k btu in the basement running off my generator made up for a 150 year old house with no insulation or proper heating system. It made for an expensive way to stay warm (and having to refill every 6-8 hours so the pipes wouldn't freeze kept me on a short leash).

Carhardt is my heating source.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I have a big torpedo style propane heater. Its only good for 4-5 hours, but on low it kept my old garage warm. It was huge, probably easily fit 6 cars and work on them. In a pinch, I could get cars three wide and 4 deep.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I also have a floor "torpedo heater". They are nice. But, they produce a very hot "narrow" air stream. So, they can't be too close to anything.

I have the older model of the Mr. Heater Corporation MH70KFR 70K BTU Kerosene Radiant ($282.25). Mine does not have the temperature setting option on the back. That makes it a hassle to turn it off with the temperature controlled AC switch (like the ones that can be used on torpedo heaters). With the Radiant heaters, they have to be turned "off" by the on/off switch. That will then shut off the kerosene/heat, while keeping the fan blowing to cool off the front radiant surface.

Still I like my radiant heater for a lot of "directed" heat (vs 360 degree heat), much more than the torpedo heaters. Also, they do a better job at providing overall heat to the general space. However, they are a still directed heat type of heater. So, don't expect them to be like the upright "can-type" Omni-Radiant kerosene heaters.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Cor.../dp/B0746MWGH1

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 10-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.

FEP Supporter

Up until a five years ago I hadn't really needed a heater. Then back into cars

I had no natural gas to my detached garage so ran a kerosene heater I borrowed from my dad the first winter. It worked good but I always had a door cracked for the CO2. It wasn't the cheapest and kerosene in slightly larger quantity wasn't the easiest to get (5 gallon versus 1 gallon containers).

With it getting pretty cold here, the only issue I had was the condensation when surfaces would get slightly warmed and then freezing when the heater was off.

Name:  IMG_4143.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  68.1 KB

I ran natural gas to my garage the next summer and a roof mounted, direct roof vented, code compliant heater. Works great in my 24' x 26' garage. I do not have a high ceiling and had no wall space so it's perfect.

Name:  Garage heater (1).jpg
Views: 491
Size:  65.9 KB

I had the hot dawg at my old house and it was awesome. I only vented it finally because we sold the house. I think it was about 400. I kept my garage (25×32. 11 foot ceilings) at 40 degrees. If i went out t I'll work I'd bump it up to 50 give it 10 minutes and go to work... boy I miss that garage

FEP Senior Member

I've been using a Dyna-Glo heater the last two winters, but may get my overhead infrared heater done this winter to avoid the floor space issue.