Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Springs. There are so many choices!

I'm starting my shopping list for the winter months upgrades on my widebody. I currently have Eibach Sportline springs on the car, which sit fine in the front but a little high in the rear (visually compared to th widebody flare). They are softer than they should be, so I want to change them for something a little more aggressive in handling (for future autocross, etc.).

The car has a 302 v8, but eventually want to go with a larger displacement engine (if it matters). Solid rear axle currently, but will add a panhard bar and replace the rear control arms soon for current pieces (also height adjustable). Front lower control arms are 99-04 (if it matters).

The choices I looked at last night are (all from Maximum Motorsports site):
    MM Road & Track
    H&R Sport
    H&R Super Sport
    H&R Race
    H&R Super Race
    Eibach Pro

The car will be mostly a street driven car, but it's not a highway cruiser. A little rough isn't much of a concern (it's not a Cadillac), so I'm not trying to stay away from the racer springs by any means. I want it to handle better, more capable when I can get it to a track for autocross. I will have to be a little cautious one more year with the budget, so if the answer is to stay off the track until you can buy springs, control arms, etc. as a package, I'll concede to put more money into the driving gas budget than parts budget.

What are your thoughts?
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Coil-overs with good dampers up front. Getting coil-overs up front was one of the best things I've ever done to my car. Better for handling, better for ride quality, allows you to set the height where you want it - win/win/win situation.

In the rear the choice isn't quite as critical. Seems to me that most of the aftermarket rear springs are in the same ballpark for rates, so just about any of them should do fine. Pulling from an old list of spring rates that I've seen many times over the years:
    Fox GT: 200-300#
    '93 Cobra R: 240-260#
    Eibach ProKit: 200-300#
    Eibach RaceKit: 200-260#
    Eibach Sportline: 140-295#
    H&R Race: 260-280#
    H&R Sport: 250-285#
    H&R Super Race: 260-300#
    Like I said, pretty much all in the same ballpark. So then it comes down to comparing how much drop each spring offers, but if you plan to install rear LCAs with height adjustable spring perches, you can tailor the rear ride height as you see fit.

(On a related note, I've got 1.5" Maier flares on mine, and I would say that the rear wheel well openings do make the ride height look higher. You're better off measuring the heights at the rocker sill front and rear to see how the car sits, because the Maier rear flares will fool your eyes.)
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Cutting the springs raises the spring rate. If your car is a little high in the rear now why not cut half a coil off and see how you lit it?

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Coil-overs with good dampers up front. Getting coil-overs up front was one of the best things I've ever done to my car. Better for handling, better for ride quality, allows you to set the height where you want it - win/win/win situation.
    With a 315 tire on the front and stock K-member, coilovers won't easily fit. The tires are about 1/4" from the shock now. It may take new K-member and lower control arms to fix, which isn't in the budget at this point.

I don't really want to cut up a set of Eibach springs to see where I like them to sit in the rear. I plan to move those to the '86 next on the build list.