Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How about scissor lift? You don't need reinforced slab and you can move it around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Senior Member

I have a 2-car garage that is 24' wide by 30' deep. I have storage shelves across the front that are about 3 feet deep. Ceilings are 12' high. Lately I've been hanging my extra body parts from eyelets in the ceiling to get more floor space. I need to be able to have 3 cars in there this winter, so my '86 hatch will be in one bay, another build in the 2nd bay when needed, then the widebody will be on rolling casters to turn sideways at the front of the garage while I'm working on the 2nd bay.

Attachment 124539

Attachment 124540
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Default inventory store sort pick

A notebook or sheets of paper with diagram of shelf contents kept nearby saves time searching.
    Mark box side with list containing multiple items with sharpie. Add or delete as required.
    Many items can be sorted by use or group- engine, brakes, body.
    Containers of similar shape minimize wasted space. Round and odd shapes take up more.

A simple database file on the pc for buried, stored, odd items works too if kept up to date.
    Like a file name wheretfisit.xls in MS Excel or similar. Column labels- ITEM, LOCATION(s), DATE, NOTES
    Example: spare black ds seat cover, shed top shelf left rear, 10/18, in flat cardboard box.

Hoarders do not do this. Re-purchase same item even if they remember they already bought it.
    Faster to buy another than search thru piles. Happens to everyone.

Any dealer or auto parts database has item locations with the part data to help locate item.
    Stores like HDepot have customer apps for this. Dept, isle, shelf, bin.

Warehouses have item locations and use scan guns. Items and locations typically are bar coded.
    Enter item number, provides location, qty on hand, status.
    Item barcode is scanned into system when stocked or moved, scanned out when picked or moved.
    Scan the new location, select status, when movement is complete. All data is linked via wireless network.
    Item bar code is scanned many times, allowing tracking of movement over time. Same procedure as UPS, FEDEX.
    If necessary, serial numbers are automatically included as part of the scanned bar code.

Large individual loose parts like exhaust pipes and sheet metal hung from racks with hooks like clothing.
    Can still recall the sound of hanging pipes clanging together when pushed or 'played'.
    Lumber is vertical or horiz. Wonder what a packaging engineer's house looks like.
    Quantities of anything are stacked, palatalized, racked, binned. Part of business accounting and inventory track.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-23-2018 at 02:38 PM.

I would kill to have your issue. I moved to this area wanting a 4 bedroom, single story home with a two car garage. I ended up with a 2 story, 3 bedroom, single car garage! Of course it was 2007 so I paid a serious premium for the house!

WIth my workbench and my tools.....my single car cannot even fit my convertible so it sits under a car cover in the driveway. This really hampers doing the work to the doors that I want to accomplish.

I'm still in the process of putting my newly built 3 car garage together.
    Name:  IMG_1819 (1).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1818 (1).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  110.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1825.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  100.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1823.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  104.8 KB
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Wow, some of you make me feel better about my garage. Its a two car, but right now only holds my tractor, motorcycles, tools, beer fridge, and washer dryer. Have two small lowes sheds for the extra engine blocks, trans, etc. Some of the wheels and four parts cars are in outside storage in the back.

I do have a shelf over the garage door that holds my hurricane plywood. And an attic with more stuff. Want a better setup but probably moving in a couple years, so it has to wait.

"Making the most of your garage space?"

Simple.

If you have not touched it, used it, moved it, cussed it or talked about it within the last year and it's still in the garage to TRASH IT GOES!!!

What you will end up with is an EMPTY GARAGE using this method.

Problem solved!!!!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

Simple.

If you have not touched it, used it, moved it, cussed it or talked about it within the last year and it's still in the garage to TRASH IT GOES!!!

Problem solved!!!!
    Wish my would use this logic with her clothes in "our" closet. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't even have a garage, so I don't want to hear it.lol

Tonight after work I’ll be moving my compressor outside to it’s new room.
    When you have a small garage every square foot counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My garage is a 24 wide by 40 deep. I consider it a fair weather garage. We have 11 cars and only 5 fit in the garage. 1 in an enclosed trailer and another in a storage unit. I only have an 8 foot ceiling so a lift is out of the question. I have storage above in the "attic". A 36" wide cabinet with painting supplies and such. A compressor and various body parts, toolbox, and workbench line the entire perimeter of the inside. If I want to do some serious kind of work it has to be nice out so I can pull at least one car out to make room. All the cars are our show cars that I dont want to have to reclean if it gets rained on.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    OK, off topic but man does this strike a chord with me. Besides racks of clothes she hasn't worn in years my wife has something like 50 purses and 50 pairs of shoes. What's up with that?

When I mention it to her she asks how many tools I have. I tell her there are a lot because you need different tools for different jobs. And she says it's the same with shoes and purses.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    OK, off topic but man does this strike a chord with me. Besides racks of clothes she hasn't worn in years my wife has something like 50 purses and 50 pairs of shoes. What's up with that?

When I mention it to her she asks how many tools I have. I tell her there are a lot because you need different tools for different jobs. And she says it's the same with shoes and purses.
    NEVER argue with a women.

Just say "Yes Dear" and get on with life as she is RIGHT and you know it whether she is or is not!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Blog Entries

Simple.

Problem solved!!!!
    This. It took me years to convince myself to finally dispose of all of the things I acquired that I "will use someday", but once i did i actually have a functional garage.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    A few years ago we converted an unused bedroom into more master suite. Nearly doubled the size of the walk in closet and after it was all done I still ended up having some of my stuff in the spare room closet.

FEP Power Member

I had a custom made shoe rack made for my wife. It holds 36 pairs of shoes. It was filled in 15 minutes. I got major kudos for that one and gained some floor space! Now all the bins are doubled up and the shoes are starting to migrate.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Blog Entries

It's a colossal mess right now, but this is what I did. It's all builders grade lumber, as in 3/8 sheathing and 2X3's. I have $45 per cabinet into them, and doors can be added later. The unfinished one is, well, unfinished. I'm still figuring out how I want it divided.
    Name:  20181117_171510.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  107.8 KB
    Name:  20181117_171618.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  108.6 KB
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goff View Post
    Attachment 124282

I have a 2 car garage, maybe a few feet longer than a standard size but the ceiling is only 10 feet. I was able to fit a hoist in to keep the Capri up top and my daily driver below it. I've got enough room along side the car for my tool boxes and benches and some room in the front as well. My wife's Explorer still fits on the other side with no issues. Anyone that sees this is amazed you can fit this in a normal garage, best thing I ever did.
    That is so cool. Where can you buy a hoist like that? It is exactly what I need. What brand is it? Are you happy with it or would you go with a different one if you had to buy another one?
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

My two cents for this thread has to do with lighting. Good lighting makes all the difference when it comes to any project, automotive or otherwise. I do lots of routine detailing on the daily drivers, and having good lighting sure makes it easier. Specifically, at our former residence with the three car L-shaped garage I went from three light bulb fixtures (i.e. builder quality lighting) to a dozen two-tube fluorescent fixtures. At the current residence I have a three-car attached and an oversized two-car detached. Each has been equipped with multiple banks of modern LED tube fixtures. People remark that the detached "looks like a paint booth in here." I love it, as do my aging eyes.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Blog Entries

I will agree. The pictures i posted don't do justice to the almost blinding level of LED lighting I have in there, and the decision to paint the plywood walls gloss white in a garage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12