Close

Default Where to put sound deadening mats

I got these
    https://lmr.com/item/DEI-050222/dei-...-sheets-050222

and I want to put them in my doors of my 84 T-Top. Where should they be placed for the best results?
    1. Inside the door on the side farthest away from the interior/closest to the road
    2. Just on the inside of the pull off door panel?
    Last edited by 84-tTop; 10-05-2018 at 04:49 PM.

That is likely nearly impossible to answer beyond a simple opinion with nothing to back it up. If you've ever seen a 2015 and up Mustang without interior in it, it probably has 1/5 the square inches of sound deadener a 1985 Mustang did. But the places it is in is weird. And it's in little lines, not SHEETS like dynamat or whatever. Computers have somehow calculated where to cancel this and cancel that noise. I am aware the 2015 weighs 1,200 more than a 1985 but I mean the sound deadening must not weigh a 1/10 as much. And you know how much quieter the new car is. They actually intentionally plumb noise IN the car these days. Craziness. You need a friend in engineering school who could CAD scan a Fox and compute where and how much sound deadening to use, LOL

FEP Power Member

They are listed as boom mats. That means they are for removing noise from large panels. This would be places such as the inner side of tne door skins, bottom side of the roof and floor panels. Not so much on reinforced panels.

I have no experience with using these.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I would recommend install the mat on the exterior door skin, obviously inside the door shell. This will absorb as much road noise before it gets inside the cabin. You will be limited in what you can install as the crash bar is in the middle of the door. What I do is cut the mat down into workable sizes and install above and below the crash bar. I do the same installing the mat inside the rear quarter panels on the exterior sheet metal below the rear quarter window and the area above and behind the rear wheels. I also recommend installing mats on the roof sheet metal. This really stiffens up the large roof sheet metal and still helps a bit even with sunroof or T-tops. Lining the floor sheet metal under the carpet is another area that is highly recommended, even up the firewall sheet metal if you are tearing the car down that far, otherwise the floor will help.

Bottom line is there is very little sound deadening in the average Fox, the later model Aero cars did receive a bit more, although still nothing compared to the new vehicles. You can also cover the inner door sheet metal completely if you want to maximize your sound deadening, but not a necessity. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here's how I did my 86'. Covered the floor tub from the firewall to rear seat in butyl mat, then covered it in closed cell foam. Also added some butyl mat to the outer and inner door skins, then covered the back of the door panel with closed cell foam. A lot of people recommend covering the door itself in CCF, I don't like that route due to compromise in the ability to access the inside of the door without destroying the sound deadening. Hence the door panel route.

Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

How thick did you go on the material?

Only one layer of each, butyl mat is .060 IIRC. The CCF is about the .125 thick. Made a big difference in road noise, cost about $150 and added only 15-18lbs.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Looks good. Will have to add that to my to do list.

Just to be the other end of the spectrum from Two86Five's results...

Material I used was 50mils instead of 60. Only did the floor board in my Fairmont, but similar coverage. Did not do any CCF.
    https://youtu.be/v9KkGvjRKlg

I was not impressed by the results. So point is...if you don't go as far as he did, go further than I did.

I do have a few sheets left over, I may try doing the door skins too. That will probably help.

FEP Senior Member

I have mixed my materials, but I used the DEI Boom Mat on the floor, lower part of the front panel, the rear quarters, and the roof skin. My computer stopped loading pictures to the FEP site for some reason, but I have it all documented on my YouTube channel. I had a foam barrier kit from LMR for the 87-93 doors (Scott Drake makes it) that I added a couple weeks ago. It fits with the earlier doors, but I had to cut out the manual crank window knob area and fit it around the clips a little. All of it makes a difference, but I don't have measurements of before vs. after.