Close

Thread: Smog pump help

Default Smog pump help

I failed my emissions visual because I’m missing the smog pump system off my car, does anyone know if I could pull it off any other model? I can’t seem to find the complete system online anywhere.

Year???
    Engine???

Did you try ebay?
    There's a lot listed for a '79.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nk...g+79+smog+pump

Imho, with parts from ebay, Rockauto, and the Ford Dealer Service Manual, it's likely doable without a lot of pain.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 10-05-2018 at 08:27 PM.

It’s a 79 and it has the 5.0 in it I have looked on eBay but they want like 600 bucks for the whole thing which I think is crazy

It depends on what has been removed. If it's just the pump, you can get that from any auto parts store for around sixty bucks, if I recall correctly what I paid for mine. It should bolt into place where the pump delete pulley is installed. if the catalytic converter was removed, that's a whole different deal with replacing your exhaust system. Usually when people take it off, they just remove the pump and leave the rest of the stuff bolted on, but if they took it all off you'll be looking for parts. It might make more sense if the latter is the case to not try to replace everything OEM style, and just put aftermarket cats on the car and whatever you need to plumb them up. I'm not sure what the emissions requirements are for your area, maybe they just need to see a cat and a pump and they don't care if it works or not.

FEP Senior Member

I have the complete system off a '92 V8 5.0L sitting in the garage collecting dust. I don't know where you are (your profile doesn't show), but if it will work for you I'd work a deal on it. It's not doing me any good as we don't have emissions where I live and I don't need it.