Close

Default 1986 mustang LX convertible help with codes attached

So, I have a few issues with this mustang. It wants to read hot on the coolant gauge once it's warmed up. It'll reach the A on NORMAL under the heat gauge on the needle position. I had to replace the temperature sending unit before I could get it to register heat at all. The previous owner sold it to me with no heat gauge working, I also replace the radiator and ECT. What's next?

Also, I have these codes. I added a smog pump back in as the PO deleted it. I still have codes related to the smog.

Also I smell a very strong gas smell when driving mostly outside of the car near the engine but can't tell where it's leaking. I just don't see it.

Why is the RPMs low? What's the average RPMs when idle? I'm sitting around 200RPMs at idle sometimes when I fire it up it'll shimmy with an irratic idle but only in the beginning when it's warming up then it's good.

It's a beautiful mustang with only 77k in miles for $500 not a bad daily driver for a young guy lol.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I would start with checking grounds. Also, is the engine actually that hit?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

What do you mean hit? I'll check the engine grounds again but I don't think that's the problem

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Sorry, hot. If your timing is doing terrible things and is running very retarded (the timing) that will cause a very hot engine, low idle speed, and maybe even your gas smell if it is super rich. I have no faith in the dash gauges on these things though so I would pick up a laser temp gauge at the least.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I only mention the grounds since it is easy and if every sensor on the engine is puking that is where I would look. Is your egr still hooked up?