Close

Default '92 Lincoln Mark VII rear axle assembly into Fairmont

I found a rear axle assembly from a '92 Lincoln Mark VII in the salvage yard and I was wondering how much trouble it would be to install it into my '82 Fairmont? It's a complete axle assembly with the disc brakes and remnants of the original air suspension. I'm not going to use the air suspension for obvious reasons; going back with coil springs from a Mustang 5.0. Has anyone tried doing this in the past?

The Mark VII had 2 different designs of rear disc brakes. '84-90 and '91-92. The newer style is a great choice.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...lug-converters
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

As noted in the links Mike posted, the biggest thing with the Mark VII rearend is the axles are 1.25" longer per side that what you currently have. You can swap in Mustang length axles (four or five lug depending on what you are doing) and get back to your current width, but then you will need to use custom brackets to run the Mark VII discs. There area a myriad of options for brakes depending on what you want to do. What are your goals for the front and rear brakes on this car?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

With the wide availability of '05+ S197 wheels (with their deeper positive offset), I don't think keeping the longer SVO/Mark VII axles is that big a deal anymore. But the width difference is definitely something to be aware of and factor into one's plans.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    As noted in the links Mike posted, the biggest thing with the Mark VII rearend is the axles are 1.25" longer per side that what you currently have. You can swap in Mustang length axles (four or five lug depending on what you are doing) and get back to your current width, but then you will need to use custom brackets to run the Mark VII discs. There area a myriad of options for brakes depending on what you want to do. What are your goals for the front and rear brakes on this car?
    Are we sure about that on the newer ones? Mike's first link only lists one style of Mark VII rear brakes, which we know to be wrong. I noted in my link that I'm not 100% sure the newer style ones are as wide as the older style ones. If you think about it, the newer style brakes being similar to Turbo Coupe style, it stands to reason they AREN'T as wide because Ford would have had to engineer an additional caliper bracket to reach the rotors .5" per side farther out than it normally does. Just a thought.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Are we sure about that on the newer ones? Mike's first link only lists one style of Mark VII rear brakes, which we know to be wrong. I noted in my link that I'm not 100% sure the newer style ones are as wide as the older style ones. If you think about it, the newer style brakes being similar to Turbo Coupe style, it stands to reason they AREN'T as wide because Ford would have had to engineer an additional caliper bracket to reach the rotors .5" per side farther out than it normally does. Just a thought.
    I wasn't sure, but now that you asked the question I looked. Rockauto lists the same axle for 84-92 Mark VII's at 30.5" long. The 87-88 Turbo Coupe axle is listed at 30" long. I've never seen the Mark VII rear brakes up close, but they must have been doing something different. The Turbo Coupe already had 10" rear discs versus 10.5" on the Lincoln so I guess they figured it wasn't a big deal to design a different axle bracket.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I wasn't sure, but now that you asked the question I looked. Rockauto lists the same axle for 84-92 Mark VII's at 30.5" long. The 87-88 Turbo Coupe axle is listed at 30" long. I've never seen the Mark VII rear brakes up close, but they must have been doing something different. The Turbo Coupe already had 10" rear discs versus 10.5" on the Lincoln so I guess they figured it wasn't a big deal to design a different axle bracket.
    Sounds like reasonable proof to me!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Default Lincoln to Fairmont axle swap

If I'm going to use the Mark VII rear axle assembly, I thought I would get front rotors and calipers from a '92 Mark VII and mount them on Mustang 5.0 spindles that used the same diameter rotors. Would this be a bolt-on, or would I need to do some modifying on the spindles. Would Lincoln Mark VII spindles bolt up to the Mustang struts?

FEP Senior Member

You can use the Mark VII 11" rotors on the 87+ V8 Mustang spindles. I do not know anything about the Mark VII spindles.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Information on the Mark VII spindles.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/t...o_spindle.aspx
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support