Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What does everyone think about this 86 ?

Going to look at this 86 t top car tomorrow morning. I have been away from the Mustang hobby for a few years and am pretty excited about this car. Its optioned out exactly as I would have ordered it back in 86.

http://www.classiccarslasvegas.com/d...-18130622.html
    86 Mustang GT T Top 2A 20k miles
    95 Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser triple locked expedition rig
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold
    86 GT Sold brother has it.

FEP Super Member

Seeing the paint on the front , tells me this is more than 19k miles , also the carpet around the clutch pedal.
    Price is quite high in my opinion .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Looks like it could be legit to me, and if it is the price is great. Hope it turns out to as described, good luck!
    Wayne
    Current foxes:
    1989 Saleen #437 maroon
    1987 Saleen #203 gray
    1989 Saleen #430 race paint
    1981 3H 1C t top cobra for sale
    1984 Predator GT302 Cobra 4S-0187 sold
    1983 GA SSP glx unknown agency sold
    1983 L coupe sold
    1984 FHP SSP sold
    1984 SVO sold

I also agree the paint looks fine? It appears to be low mileage and agree as wayne stated this good be a good buy...

I ran a Carfax and it has a really long chain of emission inspections and shows correct mileage. It shows that it was in Connecticut until 2001 when it came out here. So there may be some surface rust on some underneath parts.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

I'm not really looking for a show car just a really nice driver. Hopefully its as nice as the pics.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

FEP Senior Member

If the stated miles can't be verified 100%,I would say it's a well kept 119,000 car.The carpet and clutch pedal wear make the low mile claim somewhat suspicious.

My '86(optioned EXACTLY the same as the one posted for sale) has 90,000 miles and is in similar condition if not slightly better.
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

I'll check it out good tomorrow. The steering wheel would be worn smooth too if it had 120k.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

FEP Power Member

Nice looking car. Sagging headliner, r134 conversion and drivers seat belt seems to be hanging funny. Likely missing the seat belt recall.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

With only 19,000 miles I would bet that seals would be cracked, oil leaking etc. Stuff that isn't used much tends to fall apart

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    If the stated miles can't be verified 100%,I would say it's a well kept 119,000 car.The carpet and clutch pedal wear make the low mile claim somewhat suspicious.

My '86(optioned EXACTLY the same as the one posted for sale) has 90,000 miles and is in similar condition if not slightly better.
    Ok thanks. So what would your car be worth if you were selling it? Just curious since your car is in better shape than this, it would give me a ballpark on what this would be worth as a driver.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    With only 19,000 miles I would bet that seals would be cracked, oil leaking etc. Stuff that isn't used much tends to fall apart
    I'll be checking out that too. According to the carfax it spent its first 16 years in Connecticut and was driven 18k miles, the rest of its life has been out here in Vegas. Its only been driven 1k miles since its been here in the last 16 years. So if it does have 120k on it , those miles were put on it back east and it should be a fairly rusty bucket if that were the case.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS4EYE View Post
    I'll be checking out that too. According to the carfax it spent its first 16 years in Connecticut and was driven 18k miles, the rest of its life has been out here in Vegas. Its only been driven 1k miles since its been here in the last 16 years. So if it does have 120k on it , those miles were put on it back east and it should be a fairly rusty bucket if that were the case.
    I am not 100% that would be true. If the car was only driven during the non winter/snow months of the year. Then the rust would be no worse than many areas of the country. This would especially be true if the car was garaged most of it's life.

There are things about this car that make the mileage appear to be correct, but again there are other things that make me suspect maybe 119K is more accurate. Hard to determine from pictures. I would definitely check the car out and look over everything to verify its true condition. If the mileage is correct and the car looks as good as it does in the pictures, then the price is right in line with what I have been seeing lately. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Either way,19 or 119k miles it's worth that. Don't you guys think 10k$ is cheap for a cool v8 5-speed car or any car for that matter. New performance cars are 4-10 times that price. A new pickup is 50-70 grand, now that's nuts. A new snowmobile is 12-15k dollars. 10 grand ain't nothing for a nice clean car that may even go up in value. I say buy it.

Thanks for the replies everyone! On my way to look at it now! I agree with some of you that there are some things that make it seem like it has more miles than claimed. I'll let you know later!
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

It's a nice car, but the only way it's worth anywhere near $11,000 is if you can absolutely verify the mileage. If it's a situation where you're not sure, then that's a lot.

It is a nice car, and it is a v-8 Mustang, but it's a fox body Mustang, and they're only worth so much because there are a lot of them out there and not everyone loves them as much as the folks in this group. If you're looking for a nice driver, you can get a nice driver with good paint for a little more than half of that asking price. If it truly is a low mileage car, the value premium is on the mileage. If your intention is to put a bunch of miles on it (which in my opinion is the only reason to buy one, really), then you're going to be paying a premium for something that won't exist after a fairly short time. There was a very nice 86 in this area with a good fresh paint job, optioned like this one for sale for 7k for about 6 months. Couldn't sell it, dropped the price to $6500 and it sat for months more. I don't know if it got sold or if the owner pulled the ad. These cars just generally don't bring big dollars. It's no knock on them, they just aren't expensive cars, which is part of the appeal.

So, yeah, I think that's kind of a lot for that car if your intention is to drive it. But that's just my opinion, enjoy it either way!

It's also at a dealer so your paying a premium price for that. Nice looking car by the way.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Welp, that was interesting. It appears that the mileage is probably correct but it is a situation where it was not stored well at all. There were little chips in the paint on both doors from a locking cover. Chips in other weird places too. The paint is in ok condition but really thin in spots. Having spent half of its life in Connecticut there was a little rust on the lower left door seam but wasn't split. The undercarriage looked good with surface rust in the usual spots but the floors and seams looked good. The mouldings were in just ok condition as well. Again this car definitely was not kept very well in storage. He also told me it sat outside for a couple of years too. The interior was really nice, minor wear on the pedal pads, steering wheel was still granular. The carpet was a little dirty on the drivers foot rest side.

It ran ok once it warmed up but I think part of the problem is it sat for a long time and still had some bad gas in it. I could smell bad gas still in it while it was running. It felt really good driving it though, no squeaks or rattles, steering tight. It will need some maintenance repairs soon, the radiator will need replaced as it was running a little hot while idling. The A/C worked great. There were no leaks and the exhaust was original.

Overall I think it would make a nice driver quality car, and exactly what I'm looking for but not for 11k. Definitely not as nice as the pics would show. Being at a dealer I would also have to pay sales tax. In the end I offered him what I thought was fair given the condition but he declined. We'll see what happens, maybe he'll contact me.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS4EYE View Post
    Welp, that was interesting. It appears that the mileage is probably correct but it is a situation where it was not stored well at all. There were little chips in the paint on both doors from a locking cover. Chips in other weird places too. The paint is in ok condition but really thin in spots. Having spent half of its life in Connecticut there was a little rust on the lower left door seam but wasn't split. The undercarriage looked good with surface rust in the usual spots but the floors and seams looked good. The mouldings were in just ok condition as well. Again this car definitely was not kept very well in storage. He also told me it sat outside for a couple of years too. The interior was really nice, minor wear on the pedal pads, steering wheel was still granular. The carpet was a little dirty on the drivers foot rest side.

It ran ok once it warmed up but I think part of the problem is it sat for a long time and still had some bad gas in it. I could smell bad gas still in it while it was running. It felt really good driving it though, no squeaks or rattles, steering tight. It will need some maintenance repairs soon, the radiator will need replaced as it was running a little hot while idling. The A/C worked great. There were no leaks and the exhaust was original.

Overall I think it would make a nice driver quality car, and exactly what I'm looking for but not for 11k. Definitely not as nice as the pics would show. Being at a dealer I would also have to pay sales tax. In the end I offered him what I thought was fair given the condition but he declined. We'll see what happens, maybe he'll contact me.
    This is the usual outcome I end up with in my searches. Dishonest, totally oblivious...call it what you want...sellers that just want top dollar for cars that just plain aint worth it. Its frustrating.

Always looks okay to nice in pictures but in person not so much. Then you make an offer based on all the issues you bring up and they laugh at you.

They are banking on unloading it to an uneducated buyer* and that is why the prices go up. Too much money, not enough brain.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-30-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    This is the usual outcome I end up with in my searches. Dishonest, totally oblivious...call it what you want...sellers that just want top dollar for cars that just plain aint worth it. Its frustrating.

Always looks okay to nice in pictures but in person not so much. Then you make an offer based on all the issues you bring up and they laugh at you.

They are banking on unloading it to an uneducated buyer* and that is why the prices go up. Too much money, not enough brain.
    Yeah. I was ready to give his asking price but it just wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. It's a shame because it should be in better condition but just wasn't cared for very well. And he had really no way to back up the mileage claim other than what Carfax shows. It needs some TLC but has the potential to be really nice. Eventually it will need paint too as it's been buffed a little too much in spots.
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Coming from a dealer they should have addressed many of those issues, it's not expensive for them to drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas, flush the radiator, etc. Not a good sign for them if they would show you a car not running that well when asking for that kind of money.

I grew up in New England, it's not uncommon for cars like this to sit under a cover in the back yard for the winter as they're not great in the snow. So you'll find surface rust and stuff like that on them, no biggie.

If you're willing to spend near $10k on a Fox Mustang, you'll have no trouble finding a good one. I'd even go so far as to say if you're willing to spend $7k-$8k you'll be able to find a good one. They're around for sure!

So I've been away from the Mustang hobby for a few years and fox bodies in particular. Have the values for nice number two to three cars gone up quite a bit? I've noticed that the really nice number 1 cars with low miles and documentation are listing for 15k to 25k. Does that mean the lesser 2 to 3 cars are selling in the 10 to 13k range? I'm starting to think maybe I'm out of touch a little to what the market is for these cars. What are your opinions?
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    Regardless of mileage, these cars are simply known to leak oil. From what I see...particularly the minty fresh interior and bright/vibrant gauges....I can certainly believe the 19k miles. If it is as verified by car fax, and is rust free and in 19k mile condition when you go see then I would scarf it up!! Anything near $10k for that is a steal based on some of the values today...and I'm not referring to the $25-40k B-J inflated prices. This is a $15k or more car all day long in my opinion if the mileage is verified.

So I missed your comments after you looked at the car. $10k still seems like a fair price to me at that mileage and originality. You'll have a little bit of $ and TLC to put into based on your description, but again you are buying it as a driver not a show car. If that is in show car condition, I still say its a $15k or more car.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 10-01-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Regardless of mileage, these cars are simply known to leak oil. From what I see...particularly the minty fresh interior and bright/vibrant gauges....I can certainly believe the 19k miles. If it is as verified by car fax, and is rust free and in 19k mile condition when you go see then I would scarf it up!! Anything near $10k for that is a steal based on some of the values today...and I'm not referring to the $25-40k B-J inflated prices. This is a $15k or more car all day long in my opinion if the mileage is verified.

So I missed your comments after you looked at the car. $10k still seems like a fair price to me at that mileage and originality. You'll have a little bit of $ and TLC to put into based on your description, but again you are buying it as a driver not a show car. If that is in show car condition, I still say its a $15k or more car.
    Thanks for the reply Jason. Its a car that I really like and is exactly what I want. It has all of the options that I am looking for, plus t tops and I love the canyon red color. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger. I'll have a little work to do to get it right and running well but I am looking forward to it!
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post

Thanks for the reply Jason. Its a car that I really like and is exactly what I want. It has all of the options that I am looking for, plus t tops and I love the canyon red color. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger. I'll have a little work to do to get it right and running well but I am looking forward to it!
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast