Close

Default 1995 GT V8 swap into an 1983 LTD Sport?

Just curious what parts will swap over from a ‘95 GT? Obviously the engine and trans, but how about suspension parts? K member? Rear end? Etc...

The LTD is a 3.3 I6 right now. From what I understand, the K member has to be swapped out for the V8 conversion. I have a complete, running/driving ‘95 GT and if enough parts will fit, I’ll use it as my donor.

Thanks in advance for the help-

I’ve done a similar conversion, putting a 4.6 Cobra into a Futura, so I can help you a little. There will be a lot of “ifs” and “maybes” because what I learned doesn’t always apply to a 5.0 conversion, so I’ll be suggesting what you should investigate rather than give you bad information.

Installing the engine and transmission will be the easy part. You will need the K-member from the SN95 and may have to elongate the four holes at the rear of the K-member because they may not align with the holes in the subframe. (I kept my original K-member and didn’t have this problem but other people have reported on the website modularfoxmustangs.com that the holes don’t align.)

Wiring is going to be your biggest problem. Unlike the 5.0 Foxes which have a stand-alone wiring harness, the computer or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) wiring is integral with the rest of the wiring on an SN95 Mustang with a Modular engine and I assume the same is true of your ’95 donor car with the 5.0. Ford Motorsport makes a wiring kit and aftermarket sources, such are DunneRite, also have kits that will wire the injected 5.0 to your car.

Sometime during the mid-1980’s, Ford made a change to the Fox body structure to provide more space behind the passenger side kick panel, where they mounted the PCM. I’m not sure whether your ’83 has that space. My Futura didn’t so I attached the PCM to the bottom of the heater and I had to splice a 35-inch extension into each of the 66 wires going to the PCM. You also need to take the oil pressure and temperature gauge sending units from your six-cylinder engine, since the sending units on the 5.0 won’t work with your dashboard gauges.

On my Futura, the brackets for the transmission crossmember were welded to the floor pan and didn’t fit the T-45 transmission. If you use the transmission crossmember from the Mustang, you can either fabricate or buy from Ford a set of brackets that are bolted to the subframe. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the transmission may not have a port for the speedometer cable. I used the VSS from an ’87-’93 Mustang that has the port for the speedometer cable. I don’t know if this is the case on your ’83, but on some Fox Mustangs the wiring for both the starter relay and the backup lights connect to the transmission. I once solved a problem for someone who was putting a Modular engine and T56 transmission in a Fox Mustang. The electrical connector in the Mustang didn’t match the one on the T56, so he just left it hanging there and the engine wouldn’t crank – no current to the starter solenoid.

Your ’83 fuel tank may not be plumbed for fuel injection. The tank from an ’84-’86 LTD sedan is made for injection and has a low-pressure pump in the tank. The ’84-’86 LTD’s with injection used a second high-pressure pump external to the tank. Several of us have eliminated the dual pump system and used a high-pressure pump, either from a Mustang or a ’87-’92 Camaro with a 350, in the tank. Not having the external pump allows room for dual exhausts. The subject of fuel tank interchangeability has been thoroughly discussed on the board and the correct part number for the tank you need is listed. You will also need the sending unit, which I’m told is no longer manufactured in the aftermarket. Your auto parts store may still have a few in the warehouse.

If you use the Mustang rack and pinion steering, it will not mate to the LTD’s steering shaft. You can get adapters from Borgeson Universal in Torrington, CT (www.borgeson.com). The tie rods on the SN95 steering rack are longer than those on your LTD but will work if you also use the suspension arms from the SN95. However, tire clearance with the fender could be a problem depending on the width of your tires.

I’m probably forgetting a lot of little details, but at least you have some idea of the problems you need to solve. Good luck, keep us posted on your project, and post lots of pictures.
    Last edited by FuturaGuy; 10-01-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Wow! Thank you

I did a little searching and found the info regarding fuel tank interchangeability. Greywolf is our fuel tank guru-in-residence.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...C-For-my-wagon