Close

Threaded View

Default Head swap for budget build - lifters

I'm pretty dead set on doing a head swap for my Fairmont Budget build. However this is 100% new to me. I've done some research, but it's really looking like it will end up being spring by the time I do this, but I have a question I need help understanding.

Plan is to keep stock cam. Get some GT40 heads rebuilt at machine shop (3 angle valve job, surfaced as necessary, valve stem seals replaced). Keep stock springs as I'm running stock cam, but spend money on roller rockers.

What would the risk/bad practice be if I replaced everything from the pushrod up, but not the lifters? Leave the lifters that are currently in car right now? I can see the obvious reason as to why to replace them, the current ones would have wear on them, and I'm down there, and it's good practice...but the other part of me sees it as why mess with one other factory part, and an opportunity to not fix something that's not broken and help me stay on track with the total budget if I don't have to buy something else.

If you could help me put into perspective how foolish it would be to leave the stock lifters in place I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 09-28-2018 at 08:10 PM.