Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Run your measurements though a calculator. Compression will really depend on how far the piston is below the block deck surface. Most are about .005-.010”, but I’ve heard some are closer to zero. A stock bore engine, piston .008” below deck, 58cc heads, -6cc valve relieve pistons and a .037” head gasket will put you at 9.4:1. If the short block is in good condition it will last just fine without a power added at that compression.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I got an engine stand from HF for $35. Pretty cheap really. Can always use the 20% coupon that's always available (I did).
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Appreciate all the input. Mileage? It might actually be a 69,000 original mile car (due to 5 digit odometer). It's in tremendous shape. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from didn't have a whole lot of history on it.

Thought I would come in here and update this thread. I'm getting close to getting back into this. I ended up selling the GT40 heads I had because I paid too much for them. I sold them for $10 less than I bought them from. Hoping to go to a pick-n-pull and find another pair for close to half the price. Working on a potential partnership to get a freebie or two to shave $40 or so off my shopping list to hopefully fall into budget. I'm getting excited because I almost have done all the piddly stuff that was standing in my way of the fun work. Re-reading through this thread was a good refresher, and I want to thank everyone once again for their help. If you were curious about catching up on my budget build, here's a link to my YouTube playlist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0w8...bjNanCciDvnkSc (FYI it shows newest episode first).

Scored a great deal on heads yesterday at a machine shop. $100 for a 3-bar pair. Basically it's a customer that abandoned direction after he dropped them off at the shop. I'd suggest this as a possibility to everyone out there. Go to your local machine shop and ask that question. Hoping to exchange a promotional video on my YouTube channel for maybe another 15% off of the machine work, we shall see.

OK, picked up a new set of heads. They're GT40Ps instead of 3-bars...even though I would have rather had the 3-bars to protect against the header issues, but at $125 I couldn't get too picky with the market. I'm going to now sink my head into more "what headers will work" threads, so I might be gone for awhile!

If you watch the classified adds on the Mustang forums you will find that used or old but never used sets will pop up for sale occasionally. I've picked up 2 sets of Ford Motorsport headers this way and seen many others. Craigslist & Ebay are good places to look also.

I'll have to religiously do that. Thanks.

Ive "heard" the BBK unequal shorties work with 90 degree plug wires. I think that is the route I am going to try. I don't like the individual flange MAC headers, or the price of them.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

yea BBK's are the best I can find at the moment. I did scrounge up some interesting options via Craigslist last night. Thought maybe there was a JBA product too that might work, but haven't settled on a part number to be sure.

I picked up a 89 with p heads last week. It has hooker long tubes. Someone cut the mounting flange in between the tubes and used 90 degree boots. It seems to work pretty good.

Here's an update on where I'm at - https://youtu.be/pIu6tXZyLEA

Thought it was in this thread but it was somewhere else because I just re-read it all...but I thought someone had a suggestion for a 1.6/1.7 rocker combo. Couldn't remember if the 1.7s were designated for exhaust side or what. But if I can fit them under the stock valve covers, I'm kind of thinking about doing so. I have stock rockers with the heads, but just figure while I have to deal with those parts anyway, why not upgrade something? Would any of you worry about the combination of stock 1978 flat tappet cam + stock GT40P springs + 1.7 rockers?

Grant. I plan on using the stock 1.6 rockers, just due to the cost of roller rockers. I will be using the stock HO cam, I'm unsure that the 78 flat cam is like. I suspect milder than the HO, but don't know. I will be using clay to check PTV clearance on mine, as it has the stock flat top pistons. What pistons or engine are you using, Icant remember.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

The motor is staying stock, just swapping heads. I'll see if my Chilton's manual has a stock cam spec in it. I'm guessing it's pretty weak. I think after some searching, there's really nothing to gain with the 1.7s considering all the other things I'm keeping as is.

When you pull your stock heads off, then you will be able to see if your pistons have valve reliefs or not.

Are you sure you don't want to stick a stock HO cam in there?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12