Close

Default 82 GT with pace car or cobra scoop

I have an 82 gt which came from ford scoopless. I have always loved the look of the pace car scoop and even more so than the pace car scoop love the scoop with the cobra decal.

What do you think, pace car or pace car with cobra decal?
    Name:  E1792599-FF1D-4ACE-AB89-CFE404531B8F.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  150.3 KB
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

The car would look great with either. The GT scoop is more "Correct" for the 82 model, but if you are considering a Cobra decal, then the Pace Car/Cobra Scoop would probably be the better option.

I personally prefer the Pace Car scoop and have a spare hood for my 82 GT, so I will have one of each to swap around when the desire hits me!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks, I’ll go pc first and maube later buy the decal.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

Name:  IMG_7366.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  105.0 KB

Here is my 1982 Gt fox with pace car hood and bumper. It is coyote swapped.

Nice! Going with pace car paint or?
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

No, i doubt it. I plan on going darker gray color but I may keep the decal theme without the wording... kinda cobra style decals.

The MUSTANG name on hoods is rare. Unique and bold.
    That pace car color combo works better than all other p/c have for the street.
    More so than a name in bumper indents.
    Advertise to track fans in grandstands and tv viewers during pace duty?
    Cool to view from a chopper or other high perch.

The cars still look unlike any other. People still don't know what they are.
    When told its a Mustang or Capri, they ask what year, take a closer look, and approve.
    Did when they were new on the block and now to those born after the 80's.
    Don't even think it matters what shape its in. All good to eyes of the beholder.
    Lots had one, Lots wish they did. Pretty good to say about any car old or new.

If repainting with pace car colors and stripes, they ask if a genuine factory pace car option.
    So one may have to explain. At a show, a little under suspicion of cloning even if not the intent.
    Like its really a Cobra but has pace car paint and graphics. Can't have both- or maybe..
    The Cobra graphic on the hood was an option in 79. Option to delete in 80?
    UV and weather is very hard on them. And are not cheap to replace. Lots of people like them now.
    A wrap, or removable, or magnetic sign type would be good. Dress it up only for shows.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-02-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Is this a poll? LOL. That's a tough decision. I guess I'd say the Pace Car scoop. Because they put that front facing scoop on various models so it is more common I believe than the Pace Car. Didn't the very early Turbo cars come with the same forward facing scoop as the '82 GT? I know it was A forward facing scoop. Maybe not THAT forward facing scoop but close enough to me. I usually like what you don't see as much of.

Leave it alone. Very unusual and cool car as is.

After seeing what it looked like when the previous owner set a cobra scoop on it, I can't leave it alone.Name:  IMG_20170701_124537929.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  145.1 KB
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

I kind of like the cobra scoop and decal.

I went to the local pick n pull this afternoon to get sn95 hubs and spindles (40% off this weekend) and they had an 81 straight 6 Capri. Had rear window louvers. For $10, I couldn’t pass them up. Going all the way with the 80‘s look except for the 5 lug and Roh Snypers.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

I say go for it with the pace car hood and cobra emblem. Kinda want to see how it turns out because I have the same hood.