Close

Default Destroyed ingnition and steering column?

Hey guys just wondering what it will take to fix this? Pretty much destroyed. 85 gt
    Attachment 124096

A new column. I had to do that on my old SSP. The PO lost the ignition key & destroyed it like yours. Too bad they didnt realize the door key was the same as the ignition on SSP cars.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

looks to just be the ignition cylinder?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11582A/79-9...With-Key-Black

*edit* nvm lol that's uhhhh yeah https://www.ebay.com/i/263958303290?chn=ps

check your inbox ..
    the movie twister..i lived it big cabin oklahoma summer of '73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXnM5-B1T4
    current cars
    1984 gt 350 vert. second owner
    1986 lx 5.0 hatchback gone but not forgotten

PM sent Tulsa

So I guess my next question is how easy is it to change the steering column out?

Sounds like deja vu....my sons 1980 cobra had the column busted up like that when someone tried to steal it from the PO.

The columns are not that hard to change just a few bolts under the dash, undo the wiring connectors, and disconnect where it bolts to the steering knuckle . Not knowing the columns were slightly different I actually pulled out some later model 5.0 columns but discovered they did not quite fit perfect in the 1980 cars. I am not positive what year they changed or what but they are a bit different length wise I believe...perhaps others know the differences better.

It helps if you can find one where the ignition key is still available then its a snap to remove the ignition cylinder. If not, with some careful cutting and drilling you can eventually remove the old cylinder without damaging the housing and replace it with one you have a key for etc. Its a bit of a mess but been there and done it.

What year you working on...84 ? I probably have some parts or even a complete tilt column that may fit if you need. Let me know and I will check what I've got...its been a while since I worked on that but kept all the parts.

I’ve patched up and ran worse but the column you want is 85-86 specific if memory serves me correctly.

Mine broke on the drivers side near the tilt joint. I cobbled it up and drove it that way a long time but it was my daily and medical bills at the time had us barely with food on the table.

If the lock cyl is gone but you have the original key a locksmith can rekey the cyl to make it match up. That way lookup processes still work for replacement keys, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Sounds like deja vu....my sons 1980 cobra had the column busted up like that when someone tried to steal it from the PO.

The columns are not that hard to change just a few bolts under the dash, undo the wiring connectors, and disconnect where it bolts to the steering knuckle . Not knowing the columns were slightly different I actually pulled out some later model 5.0 columns but discovered they did not quite fit perfect in the 1980 cars. I am not positive what year they changed or what but they are a bit different length wise I believe...perhaps others know the differences better.

It helps if you can find one where the ignition key is still available then its a snap to remove the ignition cylinder. If not, with some careful cutting and drilling you can eventually remove the old cylinder without damaging the housing and replace it with one you have a key for etc. Its a bit of a mess but been there and done it.

What year you working on...84 ? I probably have some parts or even a complete tilt column that may fit if you need. Let me know and I will check what I've got...its been a while since I worked on that but kept all the parts.
    Thanks man, we just bought this 85 as a doner car for our 84 gt that we are redoing but now I kind of want to fix it so we can have 2 LOL just seeing what the cost would be, also needs some transmission work done too but I got it for 750 so I could not pass it up. Lol

Yeah I hear ya...sounds about right....fixing up one fox and end up with two or three on the go LOL !!

I will PM you later tonight about the column if you like. I am pretty sure its from an 86 with tilt/cruise in good condition with the wheel and the main reason I grabbed it was because it had the ignition key in it already...so no messing around its complete.

I kind of remember now the steering wheel has different mounting after about 82 and also the linkage for the start switch was a bit different in the base so I had to abort and find an earlier column to rob to fix up my 80.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Yeah I hear ya...sounds about right....fixing up one fox and end up with two or three on the go LOL !!

I will PM you later tonight about the column if you like. I am pretty sure its from an 86 with tilt/cruise in good condition with the wheel and the main reason I grabbed it was because it had the ignition key in it already...so no messing around its complete.

I kind of remember now the steering wheel has different mounting after about 82 and also the linkage for the start switch was a bit different in the base so I had to abort and find an earlier column to rob to fix up my 80.
    Sure man send me a PM that be great