Close

Default New carpet without backing?

Does anyone know where to buy new carpet that doesn’t have the insulation or foam or anything? Id rather not spend a bunch of money on carpet just to tear it apart

Are you looking for the formed carpet or just plain carpet on a roll?

ACC Carpet which is what most every Fox vendor is selling offers the formed carpet with insulation. I would assume you could order directly from them and request no additional jute padding or insulation on the carpet. You can also just order the same carpet as bulk material from them by the yard.

You can also check with any local upholstery shop as I am sure they can supply you with bulk carpet if that is what you want.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

How much do you need? SMS Auto fabrics offers samples for free...but they're like 4"x4" squares, I'm guessing that's the reverse end of your problem (it's likely too little).

I just put new ACC carpet in my Capri and ordered the $140 non-backed style from NPD. It does have some glued on insulation in the floor pan areas but nothing much, you could pull it off if you wanted to. In the end I wasn't happy with it and returned it for the mass backed version which was an extra $70. It is so much better right out of the box as it holds it shape and fits firmly in place when you lie it in the car. I'm very happy with it.
    HAD
    14 Mustang GT
    94 Mustang GT
    93 Mustang LX

HAVE
    81 Capri - 302 with 351 heads, 4 speed top loader
    68 Mustang Coupe - 351W, 5 speed tremec

yea I did an ACC kit in my fairmont recently, and was super impressed with how well the kit was to install -

https://youtu.be/UCjOUcXb5n8

I’m looking for formed carpet. I would use just a roll of carpet but I don’t think it will form to the floor very well.

Im doing weight reduction throughout the car, including the insulation and sound deadening. I want to put the carpet back so it doesn’t look like **** but I don’t want to spend 150 on carpet just to rip half of it apart.

Is maybe the real solution something else besides carpet then? If weight reduction is the goal, is it super important to have carpet anyway? Is there some other way to coat the floor, say spray on bedliner or something so you have a textured floor or way to protect the floor boards (and that may actually act as sound deadener). Now I don't know what a shop would quote for (what sounds like to me) is just the front two compartments of the car. I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe Vinyl floor out of an 80-96 F-150 could be used provided the trans hump isn't way too big...

Negative. I’m pretty set on the carpet. I tried cleaning mine because it was in pretty bad shape but even after carpet cleaner and washing it with a pressure washer it is still pretty bad.

I would like the interior to look stock for the most part, i removed all the insulation and speakers from inside the car and installed all the plastic side panels again and I don’t care for a spray in bed liner for a mustang.

I’m starting to look around for used carpet that’s in good condition that I can use.

Rockauto.com has the ACC carpet at the best price I have seen. Right around $105 plus shipping.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Remember 1 thing. Original style carpet that has the backing on it may not fit quite right because the carpet is molded to fit with the extra thickness of the backing. With the backing removed the carpet will obviously still fit but might be to big and you could have wrinkles in some places that you dont want them.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I have used gray carpet in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    I have used gray carpet in good condition.

Do you have pictures? Where are you located?

I should be picking up the interior parts this week. I dropped the car off to have a cage installed so I don't have it in front of me yet. I'm in southeast Mi.

I found some carpet that has no backing. Apparently this stuff is popular and I’ve read it lays down real well. I’ll be buying this soon.

https://m.yourautotrim.com/ozitemediumgray.html

When I was building my 54 Country Squire I was about out of money when it came time to put carpet in it.

I happened to be in the big orange box store and saw rolls of grey indoor outdoor carpet, $25 for 6x8.
    I put it in as a temporary solution until I could afford the $700 carpet kit. That was 4 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk