Close

Default Selling a title and VIN

Okay guys, here’s what I have going on here… I brought home an ’84 as a parts car to assist in the restoration of my ’85 T-top. The frame rails are gone, the floor is suitable for the Flintstones, and the car is just too far gone to restore. However, the car does have a clean Indiana title. I am thinking of pulling the VIN tag from the dash and selling the title and VIN to someone who might have a car with no papers. I have seen guys do this at swap meets all the time, but wanted to get your input on the matter.
    Name:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  186.2 KB

You don't want to do that.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Yeah, not a good idea. I'm not sure if it's legal to sell them or not, but I'm fairly certain it's not legal to swap the numbers on a car. The only reason to do it would be to hide the fact that a car is stolen, or to "clear" a salvage title, thus not letting the person looking to buy a car know that it was wrecked. These days with Carfax and other VIN searches it would probably come up with some strange results that would make the whole process not really work anyway, for example a car being sold by someone that's a daily driver but the VIN search comes up with a car that hasn't been registered in 10 years, etc.

It would definitely lead to an interesting Marti report!

Anyway, I'm with Ken, not a good idea...

don't forget the vin numbers are on the fender extensions. I would save the tags and hang on the wall with a picture of the car.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

FEP Senior Member

Yep, not a good idea. I actually think it's illegal in all 50. That shop in TX that was doing it to '67 Mustangs got raided and shut down by the Feds. AND, yes the VINs are stamped on the tags under the fenders.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Sounds like I should probably just hang on to the VIN and title. Who knows, I might come across another car someday worth saving that needs papers. Thanks guys for your input!

Just sell it as a titled shell. As long as the tags are on the body when you sell you are fine. If some dimwit wants to transfer tags (yes illegal), then so be it.

What are you going to get for it? $50 either way... sell the whole shell or nothing at all.

Kenny

Sorry, duplicate post.

Not wanting to reopen that old can of worms but there are cases where a VIN can be swapped legally from the body it was initially built on / with onto a new shell.

It is a long, tedious, and expensive process. There is a ton of paperwork and photos required documenting it throughout the entire process. It can only be done by a licensed auto repair shop and fully documented by Marshalls office / Law Enforcement. Just the average guy can NOT do it at home. It must also be fully disclosed at a time of sale or Felony / Fraud charges can be filed.

This is at least the process in Georgia.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon