Close



Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Interior Plastic Repairs

    Looking for a little insight on the latest adhesives to repair the interior plastics in my 83. I have a crack in my T-top covers and a dime size chuck of my quarter panels is hanging on by a flap and there are some random screw holes. From the research I performed a while back, they're seem to be no good recommendation based on the unique compound in the production process. I took one recommendation of 3M #8115 panel adhesive, but it gets a little pricey with the applicator nozzle and gun.

    So if there anything else out there that has worked? I plan on backing the repairs with mesh, but it needs to fill as well as bond.

    Recommendations appreciated.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

  2. #2

    Default

    Sorry my pictures suck. I liked working with this stuff pretty good. Didn't get good before or after when I was totally done pictures.












  3. #3

    Default

    Reads like pretty cool stuff. Your repairs look great too. I think you could actually get a little texture back in there too if you want. Thanks for the help.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

  4. #4
    FEP Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lake City Pa 16423
    Posts
    457

    Default

    The dash hull is ABS. All you need is acetone and some scrap pieces of the dash. You add the scraps to the acetone, and let it melt. The more scraps you add the thicker the solution becomes. This then can be used as a glue. Acetone by it's self can be used to join the pieces together with first to fill tight cracks. Then add the glue mix to the back side to build up a patch.

  5. #5

    Default

    pricey but I have used lord fusor to make plastic repairs in past. They sell a prep spray so it will work with any plastic

  6. #6

    Default

    After reading this thread I decided to attempt to fix my 1986 LX dash. The face was fine but the defrost grill part was broken off along with one of the speaker supports. I used a soldering iron to melt wire in as a support and then put chunks of a donor dash into acetone to make an epoxy. 5 hours in here are some before and after pictures. Thank you to the previous posters for the suggestions I never would have thought of this repair without your help

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    This is what the acetone plus chunks of donor dash looks like as it is liquefied

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    Here a couple pictures of the donor dash. I hated to cut it up but it had multiple cracks in the face.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    I have one more area to epoxy and then a lot of sanding and painting to do but it is already much stronger and I can clip the hvac ducts on hopefully without breaking anything

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    FEP Super Member NAVYCAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montebello, CA
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    post up some pictures when all sanded, I never heard about using acetone t repair, I knew it melts but this is great
    2017 Mustang ECO BOOST (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

  11. #11
    FEP Power Member mcb82gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Olathe, Kansas
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    WOW! never knew that! thanks guys.
    Mike

    Now stang-less.

    88 Cougar 5.0

  12. #12
    FEP Senior Member dtmilsap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Rose Hill,Kansas
    Posts
    805

    Default

    We used same method when making wheel fairings for cessna single engine planes to fill in gaps before sanding. . Solvent was different, but same outcome.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Default

    So this is the result of a days work. First we cleaned all the plastic with a spray of alcohol and rags. Then a heat gun to knock down nicks and scratches. Some 400 grit sand paper to smooth any imperfections and then a super light coat of texture can't remember what exact product. Then the spray dye in the picture for the final coat. My buddy is a perfectionist so we actually did 3 coats of dye which meant we used 5 cans.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •