Close

Default Headliner How-To

I recently replaced the headliner in my Fairmont.

Yes, even if you've never done it, there's not a whole lot to it and it is pretty easy.

But also, I did learn some valuable lessons along the way too and you can learn from my mistakes prior to diving into it on your own -

https://youtu.be/Ss0lKcIpOOs

Looks really good, professional job. I am going to do my t top Mustang in the near future.

Thanks
    Brant

Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackGT View Post
    Looks really good, professional job. I am going to do my t top Mustang in the near future.

Thanks
    Brant
    If you still have the OEM backer board...KEEP IT! and recover it with the new material. The new ABS plastic ones are garbage in my opinion.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    If you still have the OEM backer board...KEEP IT! and recover it with the new material. The new ABS plastic ones are garbage in my opinion.

I second that! The aftermarket T-Top headliner for my 82 was pure junk. One day I'll get around to searching for an OEM backer board.

FEP Member

Poor fitment around visors, map light and T-Tops.

One of the "lesson's learned" from my experience that I want to pass along, is I got lazy with not using my pan for the roller with the contact cement towards the end. I started just pouring it directly on the headliner material and then rolling over it as soon as I could. What ended up happening is I'd have localized saturation points that more or less went through the foam. So I have a bunch of indentions on the install. But that's part of why I looked for a car like a Fairmont. It was so if I made mistakes like this, I wouldn't ruin a real car. It's good enough for a resale, I'm not going to bother redoing it.

But from what I can tell the roller method worked great otherwise. Most people use a aerosol version. But this worked fine in my opinion.

Foam backed headliner material. JoAnn Fabrics.
    Used spray. A little messy, stringy. 3M90 i think.
    A balloon or clean roller to lightly press the foam backing onto the glue.
    Had material folded back over itself. Dowel rods to keep the material leading edge slightly off glue.
    A thin slip sheet of some sort would work.
    Pressing hard on foam backed material into glue, like with fingers or palm, leaves a trail.
    A popsicle stick in the fold creases to make them crisp. Re rolled lightly.
    After 18y ok.