Close

Default Tips on storing foxes for winter?

Does anyone have a fox specific list they go through for storing their car for the winter?

Unless my antifreeze is fresh .... I always drain at least a quart of a coolant and refill with fresh.

If I’ve added water here and there I’ll go straight antifreeze. If I haven’t I still might go straight antifreeze as that’s what has the chemicals in it that preserves engines which saves on head gaskets, etc. heat cycle until the air is out or purge air via bleed off methods discussed on other threads. Test it and make sure it’s ok to -40 or colder.

Always fill the tank with straight unleaded and load up on fuel stabilizer. Stabil makes a type that protects tanks now but it’s better to just fill it.

Dielectric grease on the plug wires on both ends

up on jack stands at all four corners or put old tires on I don’t care if I make square.

ensure battery is fully charged and full of distilled water. Before opening clean the top off with soap and water — prevents getting crap inside the battery. Also prevents residue from conducting electricity and draining the battery

Disconnect the power terminals at the battery

grease everything that gets grease

if it hasn’t had fresh oil and filter lately.... do it in the spring before you fire it.

Why not now? Because it’s going to collect moisture. Also— Ive seen the aftermath of a cheapo oil filter that was left oil soaked for too long before. The paper in them is oil resistant, not oil proof. After a long time soaking if one comes apart and goes engine wide and clogs up oil galleys..... then boom....

That’s what I would do......

Good list. ^^^^^
    I store mine in the garage here but I prep it like its going to be a year.
    I also vacuum out every part of the interior, little critters will multiply in storage.
    I go on a long drive to make sure the exhaust is fully heated and not collecting water from short trips.
    I inflate the tires to 40 pounds because they will drop a few pounds. and up on stands it sits.
    I make sure the windshield washer is full of -40 purple washer fluid. It can get seriously cold here.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

You mention 'grease' and I have caught sight of a couple of zerks while working on mine. Does anyone have a list of zerks that should be greased and how often (besides just for parking)?

Also, when you put it up on blocks, where do you like to place the blocks (exact location)? These old foxes are pretty flexible...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I lift mine at the K member with a floor jack then put a pair of stands on the front part of the subframe connectors or the inner part of the A arms by a bolt.

out back I lift from the Center of the rearend then put stands in by the torque boxes. (lower control arm to body

Always store a car like it’s going to be parked for a long time. I storred my ‘83 for the winter and it ended up sitting there for almost 5 years.

I never jack up my cars for storage, I air up the tires to the max pressure indicated on the sidewall.

Also don’t store with the parking brake on. I’ve had one car seize the cables and another turn the drums in to ovals.

Make sure to put it away dry, I usually wash the cars and then let them sit in my heated garage for at least a week to dry out before I think about storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing this for 10+ years with no issues. Also, my garage is heated but I don't run it unless I'm going to be out there working...it never falls below freezing inside (would take several nights in a row below 0 to accomplish that), and if it does I kick on the furnace.

*Top off the gas tank
    *Pull the batteries and put on a shelf....and charge on a trickle about once a month. My batteries have lasted me 8-9 years like this.
    *Place bounce dryer sheets on top of all four tires, a few in the engine bay, a few in the interior and trunk/hatch, and two under each car.
    *Place dryer sheets under garage door ends and the expansion crack (if you have one) in your garage floor.
    NOTE....in eleven year at this house, I have NEVER had a mouse in my garage, evident by the empty traps I set just in case. Bounce sheets DO work.
    *Clean/dust the car and cover with a good quality cover.
    *Close the garage door and don't open it again until Spring....if you can? This keeps the moisture off the cars, and everything else in the garage (tools & such) from the rapid temp swings from inside to outside during the winter. Cold air outside, warm inside equals instant condensation when you open the door...especially if it is wet outside.

That's all I do. I run synthetic oil so I don't change the oil....if it is time to change I do it in the spring. I don't run any Stabil in the fuel as they are only parked from November to March/April. I don't use blocks or jacks....again, only being stored for a few months I have not had much in terms of flat spotting...except on my 1990's TRX tires, but they smooth out in about 50 miles.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

There are assumptions on my part with the list above.

1- the car could sit a lot longer than over winter

2 - the vehicle is nice enough to go to such measures

my 86 ...... not so much. It gets what I feel it needs

all of the above / Plus tennis balls in tail pipes mice have been know to climb in. I but drier sheets in the air cleaner case. Just not after the filter so as to get sucked into engine if I forget about them. Also under the back seat Common place for nest
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri