Close

Default Engine Bay Painting

Hello Guys

I want to paint the Engine bay of my fox ,

The car body color will be Black

Suggestions??

FEP Member

Paint it the same colour as the car.

I agree with Monty78. Paint it the same color as car and clear coat it also to protect it and make it easy to clean. That is what I did also.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Black satin, gloss, or semi is ok on black car. They seem more flexible.
    Body color or whatever factory did looks best on others. The detailed factory clean new look.
    Of course other components finish can complement, enhance, or detract from that.
    The factory look has blended look all new components with different finishes.
    Custom cars use chrome, and high gloss paint to focus on everything. A busy look.
    To me clean factory look is pleasant. Custom is eye candy tons of sugar.

You can really get a pretty nice look without hardly any money and just a bit of labor unbolting items from the fender wells and firewall and a lot of masking and taping off. The color is your preference of course. I have done this on a few cars and no, it doesn't look as nice as as pulling the engine and removing everything etc. but still a large improvement overall and made me not ashamed to raise the hood at cruise ins.

As stated by others above, I would agree the engine bay color should match the exterior body color. Personally I am not a fan of black engine bays with body colors that are not black. Your opinion may vary.

If the car will be painted black on the exterior, then obviously black works in the engine bay. Satin/Semi-gloss Black can be a benefit on a less than perfect engine bay as it will not "Highlight" imperfections with Glossy paint. The factory did not really spray the engine bay completely and well on the assembly line as you can most often see that the paint will be lighter with less coverage the closer you get to the K member, so if going for that look, you don't have to be perfect.

IMHO if you are going to go thru the trouble, then as Homer302 mentions, I would take the extra time and effort to remove as many parts and pieces and do a nice job. Aluminum foil works great for masking off larger items such as M/C, wiring, etc. Disconnect and remove as much as you can and that will allow you better access to clean, prep, and paint. Then detail your misc items and reassemble. That will give you a nice clean, but OEM looking engine bay. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I did my engine bay in satin black. I like how it looks, but its partly in the details too. Look at the older 60s and 70s cars to see how they were done originally. I was careful to have a clean transition from the black to the body colour. The fenders are body colour completely as they were painted off the car. I think it looks sloppy when the black is sprayed over the inner flanges of the fenders.

Name:  2018-08-02 14.43.04_resize.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  232.9 KB

in the long run it’s best to pull the frontend apart and soda blast and prime and paint everything then put it back together. Anything to get the rust in hidden places gone

Thank you very much for your support guys!

I will remove the engine and try to hide wires as much as i can ... then i will paint it ...

Thanks