Close

Default To buy or not to buy

I have happened on an 85 gt 5. 5 speed that is pretty rough. It comes with however, an 85 gt shell that is nearly rust free. All I can find is a maybe dollar bill size repair needed at the firewall to floor seam. Plus a bucket of parts go with it. I think the price is right on it. Trouble is it goes to the end of the line on my repair plate. After my mustang the wife's volvo my dads ss nova, my 53 5 window Chevy pick up 68 scout and probably some other stuff. Life isn't long enough nor pockets deep enough I fear

My take is if the funds going in to this slow down progress on other projects already in the works then I would pass.

I tend to agree with Homer. Too many projects and not enough time equal to a lot of junk and no funds to complete any of it.

What if you do the stuff it needs quick and flip it? Sell it on knowing it’s saved and do so for a profit..... and for the hard to get parts you want to keep

You know lots of guys with parts that are willing to help you.

I have a WC T5 1352-169 gear set sitting in a box. Also the 7.5 out of my 85 has 4.10’s and it’s low miles... just would hold the power of the stroker and gforce kit going into it.

Good candidate for a 0.040 over stock style motor build too. Especially if the one in it is not original and has more material left in the bores.

Rob the hard to find 4180 Holley and other unobtanium parts, put on a used Edelbrock so it runs good.

I have 4 sets of Stock spindles and calipers, etc. one nearly new set of 5 lug rotors, the rest are 4.

Make it a driver quality car and let it roll out

I’d say I’d buy it to rebuild my 86 in, but so far I have refused to kill a car that can be saved to fix one that probably shouldn’t be....

Sometimes I think I was/am nuts for building the 85 roller I bought into a Saleen clone rather than fixing my 86. But I want to make sure I have one to drive while I’m working on the other one.

My idea is either put a bunch of new or rescued metal into a beat down car and make it nice again. Stuff that was destined for the scrap heap if my car hadn’t come along.

The complete one runs and has a 3k mile t5 in it. There would be an extra 85 harness it it. Lots of other parts for sale too. The complete one has 85 plug wires on it as well as being original unmolested. Just rotten from iowa winters