Close

Default EECIV code reader

Are there any code readers still out there and available for our old four eye computers? I wouldnt mind having one since the Saleen and SVO both have this system.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Are there any code readers still out there and available for our old four eye computers? I wouldnt mind having one since the Saleen and SVO both have this system.
    I have this one: INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital OBD1 Code Reader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EW0KHW..._YDUPBb63MWCFY

And the extension cable: INNOVA 3149 Extension Cable for Ford Code Reader (Item 3145) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVYH36..._gFUPBbCC0MBFX

I use a paper clip and a test light. All the xide reader does is beep...
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Autozone sells a reader that displays the code digitally and it comes with a book that says what the codes mean. Not a bad option.

That sounds like a better option.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Didn't know anyone had ever made one that was semi-useful. That does sound like a good option. All mine does is flash a light in a slow or fast fashion and then repeat it 3 times. You have to be darn sure paying attention to read it so you don't get lost in all the light flashing, LOL. it goes ** * * * **** * and that would be a code 2341. It is HARD to follow at times! HaHa.

That’s why I like the digital readout. I have an old flash and tone style one too. Much harder to use.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

I just record it as a short video on my phone. Then I can rewatch it all I want.

One of the mechanics at my work had an old snap on code reader for old Ford's. It did show the codes on a digital display, but it waited until the codes were all done flashing before it displayed them. It did have a button for starting the engine cylinder balance test. Guess that's slightly easier then tapping the gas pedal.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I have the Autoxray Code Scout 2500. Had it for about 10 years now. It has OBD I cables for Ford, GM, Chrysler and the OBD II plug. It displays(text) any found codes on a small screen. Not sure if it's still being made. I've always found these things just point you in the right direction when diagnosing a problem, without 'telling' you the exact issue. Though sometimes, it's right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I have the Autoxray Code Scout 2500. Had it for about 10 years now. It has OBD I cables for Ford, GM, Chrysler and the OBD II plug. It displays(text) any found codes on a small screen. Not sure if it's still being made. I've always found these things just point you in the right direction when diagnosing a problem, without 'telling' you the exact issue. Though sometimes, it's right on the money.
    apparently, it is still available: https://www.amazon.com/AutoXray-AX25.../dp/B000IX84KC

I use that autozone 30 dollar version and it is awesome for what it is. I would have given up ages ago without it.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

My local oreillys has a Bosch scanner with an OBDI Ford EECIV connector I use for now. It pulls engine codes for KOEO and KOER

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention it also has a wiggle test function. A few others but they don't work.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by DougTx View Post
    I have this one: INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital OBD1 Code Reader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EW0KHW..._YDUPBb63MWCFY

And the extension cable: INNOVA 3149 Extension Cable for Ford Code Reader (Item 3145) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVYH36..._gFUPBbCC0MBFX
    This is the one I have. I had the previous version with the flashing light but traded up as I had trouble figuring it out. I would like to find one for my BlueDriver.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Code scanner or the stuff and know how to rig up a light is pretty much a don’t leave home without it. The scanners are getting harder to come by when needed and the frequency of problems is bound to increase as these cars age.

Name:  Check Engine Test.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  85.4 KB
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe