Close

Default 1985 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 or Mustang GT 5.0

Looking for either but leaning hard toward the Capri RS 5.0. I owned both in my youth, but the Capri seems like more of a unicorn.
    Specifically what I am looking for in a Capri that is not negotiable:

Has to have all of the following:

-1985 Capri RS 5.0 or Mustang GT

-5.0 engine, must be a/the original equipped 1985 'roller' motor correct for the car

-Original 5 speed car- can have replacement TKO, World Class, T-56 etc.

-Bright Red Upper/Gray lower chip resistant finish (OEM colors including black matte trim) with no alterations to any trim or grill/headlight doors

-Factory T-Tops
    -Factory Hood with correct 'scoops' or flat black trim/decal/etc

-Bubble Hatch with spoiler or non 3rd brake lite hatch, also with spoiler if Mustang GT

-AC Delete preferred, but not essential.

-Power windows, preferred, not locks, not essential.

-Correct nose and hood trim for either car, with Marchal Fog Lamps

-No Cruise control preferred not essential

-Leather Wrapped Tri-spoke steering wheel with Mercury 'Cat' (if Capri) horn emblem

-Original rear 7.5" 2.73 diff, limited slip, not a deal breaker. A 3.55, 3.73 8.8 Motorsport or later 8.8 limited slip acceptable.

-Factory style exhaust with all 3 cats and H-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers/chrome exits- or other exhaust OK . Off road exhaust is OK, if original take off parts are included.

-All factory engine parts must be in place including air pump and drive accessories. If upgraded, the original parts must be available ( obviously I don't need to see original plugs, wires, cap filters etc if they have been changed )

-Factory correct 5.0 HO 4 Barrel dual snorkel tube air cleaner/lid installed all emissions pieces and TVS available with car

-Factory correct Holley Motorcraft 600 4-bbl present on vehicle.

-No modifications to camshaft, heads and valvetrain, pistons, intake, drive accessories and fan, or long tube headers, etc.

-Factory Gray Cloth Sport Seats having leg extensions and red piping stripe outlines. Gray vinyl/Carpet side panels, door panels and headliner undamaged.

-No heavy duty modifications, blown out ex 'race' cars, or wrecked put togethers from several cars.

-Looking for unmolested and fairly original example under 90,000 miles something I can add selected upgrades to. Repaints are fine as long as they match factory colors and are done right. Not looking for a car that started life in another color. Interior needs to be OEM, nothing cut out for stereos, speakers, etc. OEM radio preferred but not a dealbreaker. -

To sum it up further, a lower mileage example, perhaps one or 2 owner, seldom to never driven in snow, salt, or bad weather/offroad,.. certainly with no rust present under doors or floors, torque boxes, other than normal patina /road dirt on undersides. Not totals or salvage title rebuilds. Either car must run out and drive well, like new, have equal correct compression on all 8 cylinders, no grinding, failed transmission/gears, oil/fluid leaks/seals or low oil pressure. 5 Lug or rear disc conversion is OK. Strut tower or subframe connectors OK. Factory ride height and suspension preferred. Additional questions simply PM me and will discuss in further detail. Documentation to back up the car's history and provenance will be a must, including Marti Report, Carfax identi-plates door/jam stickers etc.

As every single car is different, the same applies to price. I'm not looking for a trailer queen. More of an original car, well taken care of and not abused. A car that I can drive and enjoy, subtly altering myself replicating the cars I owned in youth...ones I'm so very sorry I ever sold

Not be a stickler, but since your request is so detailed and specific. I have to mention that the trim color for the 85/86 model Capri and Mustang was dark charcoal with a matte/satin sheen. Not Black.

Good Luck with your search, will definitely be a Sweet Capri or Mustang!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Close but no cigar, 60K 1985 gt mint interior, gray with the red piping. two owner car, even the tire's are the goodyear hi-performance org. Does have a/c no power windows (manual) all new stainless exhaust, phone dial wheels. Original am=fm radio. bright red 2r paint. Have build sheet & invoice's for work done in the past. Bought in Chicago July of 85. never in snow or bad weather, no rust anywhere. Org. ride height with new shocks & struts. Must see car.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Not be a stickler, but since your request is so detailed and specific. I have to mention that the trim color for the 85/86 model Capri and Mustang was dark charcoal with a matte/satin sheen. Not Black.

Good Luck with your search, will definitely be a Sweet Capri or Mustang!

Thank you for the correction, wraithracing. Wasn't the center hood scoupe area body colored on '84-5-6 Capri RS 5.0's,.. but on the GT Mustang models and center hood bulge flat Black? I don't recall if it was a decal or paint on the GT hood. What I do remember was that the grill, headlight buckets front areas on both was flat-trim black. I have some photos somewhere of both my car's I can check.

The lower body areas to pinch welds on both cars had that Gray chip resistant finish for several model years, with the combination of Bright Red upper-Gray lower was and remains stunning to view and a simple choice.

Finding one of either as I had them has proven difficult, either model today is seemingly elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangnut View Post
    Close but no cigar, 60K 1985 gt mint interior, gray with the red piping. two owner car, even the tire's are the goodyear hi-performance org. Does have a/c no power windows (manual) all new stainless exhaust, phone dial wheels. Original am=fm radio. bright red 2r paint. Have build sheet & invoice's for work done in the past. Bought in Chicago July of 85. never in snow or bad weather, no rust anywhere. Org. ride height with new shocks & struts. Must see car.
    What part is close but not a winner? Exhaust? AC? windows, missing T-tops? Fairly sure I can convert a car to no A/C with parts off any 79-93 ac delete Fox, add power windows etc. My number one preference is the '85 Capri RS T-top 5.0 5 sp. because to me they are more special and muscular with their bulging panels, hood and hatch. That said, the 84/5 GT 5.0 t-top is no slouch either. In my experiences, owning both model car, as well as a '84 GT 5.0 T-top TRX car, the '85 Foxes made more horsepower with the roller cam, responding better to mods, unlike the '84 and '86 model year of either car. The 85's always seemed to respond more from the exact same type modifications. Desiring a Capri or Mustang GT to be an '85 is down to these being the only year factory 4 eye car with a carb, and factory roller cam /block. These used no computers, featuring minimal emissions components, were fairly light weight, lightest of almost of all Fox model years at just about 3000 lbs. The '86 FI cars seem to be more hassle to make power with, why convert one to carb, since it's the first HO-FI car, the last Four Eye model, and only year with speed density, making them rare and least desireable of all the Four Eyes, in my experiences.

Your car sounds like a nice car to me..!
    Last edited by RS_Capri_85_5.0; 09-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks for the comment for the 85 gt.