Close

Default Changing the HVAC setup

Hey all! Has anyone ever moved the HVAC controls down to the radio slot and use 87-93 knobs and then put in a double DIN radio where the old HVAC is? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trey can comment, but another interesting option is to hybrid the four eyed fox dash and aero car console. End result is 87-93 AC/heat controls and double din radio opening and a nice spot for additional gauges in the old heater spot.

If you swap the controls into the radio opening and replumb the AC vent you may have something neat there also. Might even retain the clock and information center.

I no longer have the clock, info center, or center console for that matter. I have seen it the way you have said. Gives plenty of ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original HVAC location is not large enough to put a Double DIN stereo in without additional modifications not only to the instrument cluster panel, but the dash itself. You will have to remove the existing HVAC register and also modify the duct work behind the dash to accommodate a Double DIN unit.

I went the route of the 87-93 center console but with a custom modified dash to make it all work. Probably not any easier, but it does give the added benefits the later model console offers in regards to stereo, HVAC, power mirror switch, etc. that I was interested in. I haven't finished everything yet, since I have been away from home for over 1 year now, but hope to wrap it up in the near future. I don't have any pictures after some filler and body work on the dash, but here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like.

Name:  2016-09-21 18.06.00.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  2016-09-21 18.06.16.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  2016-09-25 14.38.37.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  114.1 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Careful - this marketing tag line just might make you spit your coffee across the room.....

Perfect for those who just can’t live without a broken ash tray door! LOL

i think it’s pretty cool. I doubt I’ll do it to one of mine without bringing more of the 79-86 console back into the picture —but it’s cool

I will admit that the modification was much more of a PITA that original considered. Unfortunately one of those projects that once I cut off the bottom of the stock dash, I either had to see it thru or just trash the dash. Luckily the dash already had major issues with the stereo opening, so if it didn't work, I wasn't out much.

My actual plan was to make my own version of this for the center console. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04490C-K/mu...ake-seal-87-93 But at this point, I might just buy this to save time and headaches.

Name:  LMR Cup Holder.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  LMR Cup Holder2.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  18.4 KB

Nothing against the stock console, but I never use the info center and most of mine seem to be dead/broken anyway. I also like the E brake being offset, in addition to the ability to add the Double DIN stereo and the Aero rotary A/C switches. Many of my Foxes will get the stock dash and console, but my 82 GT is anything but stock, so might as well have some fun with it.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 09-23-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Cup holders. I thought that’s what stuff it between the seat and the console is for. Lol. Very nice mod.

I love mine!!

Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Reminds me of LTD LX consoles.
    Attachment 124158

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I will admit that the modification was much more of a PITA that original considered. Unfortunately one of those projects that once I cut off the bottom of the stock dash, I either had to see it thru or just trash the dash. Luckily the dash already had major issues with the stereo opening, so if it didn't work, I wasn't out much.

My actual plan was to make my own version of this for the center console. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04490C-K/mu...ake-seal-87-93 But at this point, I might just buy this to save time and headaches.

Name:  LMR Cup Holder.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  LMR Cup Holder2.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  18.4 KB

Nothing against the stock console, but I never use the info center and most of mine seem to be dead/broken anyway. I also like the E brake being offset, in addition to the ability to add the Double DIN stereo and the Aero rotary A/C switches. Many of my Foxes will get the stock dash and console, but my 82 GT is anything but stock, so might as well have some fun with it.
    I may have asked this before....but how does the e brake handle swap out for the later offset one? Is the handle offset or does the aero one require mods to the tunnel?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I may have asked this before....but how does the e brake handle swap out for the later offset one? Is the handle offset or does the aero one require mods to the tunnel?

The Aero handle is offset. Still uses the same opening for the cable, but the mounting holes are different. I made the swap on my 82 to use the Aero console with my custom dash changes. No big deal. You could drill the holes and use nuts on the underside or weld them in like I did. I did notch the opening around the cable hole for added clearance, but again an easy swap.

Name:  2016-09-21 12.05.18.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  2016-09-27 16.43.01.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  139.0 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 10-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller