Close

Default Any megasquirt experts?

setting timing with megasquirt
    I am trying to set my timing but finding it challenging I can't get the balancer to stay in one spot to get an accurate reading

FEP Super Member

What do you mean you cant get the balance to stay in one spot ?
    More details would help your cause .
    What year are you working on ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

What kit are you using, and have you got the right parts to drive the ignition?

Normally, Fords EFi system controls the TFi.

They hand shake a little via SPOUT and PIP. Ford was very clever to ensure the EECIV was stepped up to allow spark to be pulled or added, and it was a step on from the old EECIII, which had a seprate sensor and sperate other DuraSaprk III Igntion controller.

Ford eliminated extra stuff by embeding the Igntion system into the computer. Not all MS systems are sequential injection, nor are all EECIV'S.

Truck ones from 1986 to 1995 ish are Bank Fire.

The 5.0 Mustang Port EFi is sequentially injected, phased injection to give better emissions, economy, and it has to use an extra battery of cataysts to mop up the gasoline under wide open throttle. Ford "did away" with a crank sensor like on the 1980 to early 1984 non HO CFi's.

The Thin Flim Igntion system doesn't use A 36-1 sensor to target the injector pulses, it uses the magentic reluctor as a didgital Sqaure wave generator to run the injector spikes.

Without the right kind of kit, you have to move to a square wave generator (a 36-1 or 72-2 wheel with a Prox Sensor to create the 0 to 5 volt nominbal vlotage change the computer needs to fire everything the way it does on the 1986 to 1995 EECIV 5.0's with Sequentila Injection.

Like this

Prox sensors are bi+c|-|y and require specfic kinds of clearance, wiring and don't produce clean signals unless you floow the rules in DIY Autotunes literature.

Ford knew it would be running Coil Pack EDIS, so the EECIV coding was left open to potentially use the distributor shaft as a square wave generator. Its not a great way to do the job, but it works if you use Fords EECIV coding. Some version of MegasSquirt normally like a better igntion and injector sequencing system, but you can do just about anything if the ciruits test up okay, and you know the rules.

In fact, its probably the best system around, with exceptional support. Once you get past being punch drunk form all the techo -jargon, you'll love it.

One thing is, its very smart, and because its Totalitarian, and you have learn what each version needs. Then, its simple, and you'll love it.

I have the megasquirt plug and play for the mustang got it a few months ago so I am assuming it is the newest version tuner studio 3.0.28.
    my car is an 86 using the stock harness and distributor set up right now
    the engine is a 347 36 lb injectors 10.6 compression, trick flow heads and edelbrock 5.0 intake comp cam with .550 lift
    I can get the timing close but I feel like I am guessing as it bounces a bit on the light. Also at idle it is running rich mid 10 AFR + or - a point,
    I am trying to get it close enough to run decent so i can get it to go down the road.

Most likely RF (Radio Frequency) surge from the remote fans and gruntier alternator. When you upgrade, the stock Fox wiring starts to show problems. Ford kept the wire gages down and lowered the voltages by 5 volts uniform everywhere to roll out the EECIV, and MS copies a lot of the simple reference voltages, so its very sensitive to reference voltage changes to any sensor.

There are some fusile links and resistors and diodes set up on certian kinds of Throttle body sensors.

Check the obvious. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't allow stable, air free fule supply, or the injector wiring needs to be changed. TS is a brilliant program. What I've done is run shaddow session with the supplier, and down loaded to file with my smart phone and a Hot Spot Wifi. Like pod casting. I used a Remote Weather and Hyrological computer, and even charging the vehicle with the battery connected would show the sensors were picking up rouge signals.

Check the obvious, and Don't Panic. If you've upgrade, I'd say the current draw on your upgraded alternator or fan might make the idle hunt quite noticably.

If you want a name Stateside, contact me. There is a fee and some conditions (not from me) but Port EFi and MS is way ahead of the Self Learn Throttle Body 4-BBL EFi systems, the closer you are to stock control systems, the better the advantages with wilder cams and induction.