Close

Question 84 mustang front bumper fitment

I just got an '84 Mustang and I like the way the front looks, but there's another look I would like better. I was wondering if the front bumper cover of an '82 Mustang would fit on my '84? Would it be a direct bolt on? Would I need to do some fabrication (and if so, how difficult - like, just new bolt holes or making entirely new brackets)? Or are the measurements just completely off?

I asked on StangNet and they directed me here for further clarification, and someone mentioned the body lines of the hood won't line up, but I do plan on replacing the hood if that matters.

Cowl widths are different 82 vs 84.

lots of differences up front but the fenders are the same 79-90.

I’d let the 84 stay an 84 unless there are major reasons the change it.

You mean the width of the hood cowl, right? If that's the case, I already plan on replacing the hood so that's no issue to find one that'll match up with the '82 front. As long as the bumper itself will line up with the body correctly (disregarding the hood), I plan on changing it to the '82 style.

Quote Originally Posted by 84_fox View Post
    You mean the width of the hood cowl, right? If that's the case, I already plan on replacing the hood so that's no issue to find one that'll match up with the '82 front. As long as the bumper itself will line up with the body correctly (disregarding the hood), I plan on changing it to the '82 style.
    When you say 82 style do you mean 82GT or the regular 82 bumper? regardless any 79-82 front bumper will work as long as you change hoods like mentioned. everything else is the same from 79-84 meaninf the body moldings and rear bumper cover. Tail lights are different from 79-82 to 83-86.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by 84_fox View Post
    Just keep in mind that the outer holes for the screws that hold down the original cowl will be exposed when you install the narrower cowl from the 82.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

What I meant by cowl width - is the width of this panel....
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/cowl-gri...SABEgK0_fD_BwE

Newer than 82 uses a wider cowl panel so as Trey mentioned the screw holes from the 84 panel will show.

Here are the two different cowl grills together, for a visual comparison:

http://ascmclarencoupe.com/Parts/CowlGrillsTop.jpg
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags