Close

Default Proper Ground Locations 84 GT

Anyone have a diagram that shows all the proper grond locations down from the battery? Also, does anyone know the proper cables from the negative battery post to these locations? I'm still having issues with hot starts, when I've driven the car for a while and then shut it off, it cranks very slowly, if at all. If I let it cool down a bit, it starts just fine. I'm pretty sure it's a ground issue, but I would appreciate any and all help on this matter. Thanks
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Senior Member

Sounds more like a heat soaked starter.

Starter has been replaced, twice.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Super Member

I only remember having 2 ground points on my 84.
    347 with 11 to 1 compression , dont have any problem with heat soak and restart .
    So I have the ground from battery to side esof block , and second ground is from back of head to the firewall .
    I have been using one of those flat braided ground straps from the head to the firewall , and dont remember the actual size of the battery ground , just that it is larger than my thumb.

What do you have the timing set at ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Was having the same problem on my sons 1990 gt and we put 3 starters on it from auto zone and still did it. New cables,Checked all Grounds and cleaned them and still did it. We ordered a high torque mini starter and problem was gone and it has been 6 months. Do not know why because he has a basically stock motor while I have a 347 supercharged motor and I am using a stock style starter with no issues. I thought it was a timing issue also, but I put a timing light on it and was right where it was supposed to be. As Posted above the only ground points I have on my 84 is battery to front of block and rear head to firewall.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

On my 84, the negative cable goes down to the frame rail where it is stripped and connected via a clamp. From there it travels down to where it connects to the block. I also have a strap from the block to the firewall.

Even after a starter change, I still had a slight drag after it got hot and I attributed it to the shorty headers and x-pipe on the car. I bought one of those cheap DEI universal starter "blankets" and wrapped my starter and it has for the most part cured the issue.

One day I will probably just do the mini starter upgrade but this works for now.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Anyone have a diagram that shows all the proper grond locations down from the battery? Also, does anyone know the proper cables from the negative battery post to these locations? I'm still having issues with hot starts, when I've driven the car for a while and then shut it off, it cranks very slowly, if at all. If I let it cool down a bit, it starts just fine. I'm pretty sure it's a ground issue, but I would appreciate any and all help on this matter. Thanks
    I have an 84 LX and I had the same problem. Cold starts the car would crank right up. But as the day progressed each time I would run and turn off the car the next start would be weaker. by my 3rd errand the cars battery would be dead. We verified the alt was charging the battery at 14.5 volts. I replaced the alt twice, the external voltage regulator with a motorcraft, a new battery. had my mechanic clean and replace all contacts in the charging system, replaced the starter and still the same problem.

I upgraded to a 3G charging system I got from LMR and this problem went away never to return. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I only remember having 2 ground points on my 84.
    347 with 11 to 1 compression , dont have any problem with heat soak and restart .
    So I have the ground from battery to side esof block , and second ground is from back of head to the firewall .
    I have been using one of those flat braided ground straps from the head to the firewall , and dont remember the actual size of the battery ground , just that it is larger than my thumb.

What do you have the timing set at ?
    My 84 also has a ground wire branch off from the battery ground wire to the radiator support. I believe its supposed to help keep the ECM grounded.

Name:  MustangBatteryGround.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  55.6 KB

There is a bolt in the fender wall by the battery that I believe that ground pigtail attaches to. It currently does not. Thank you for the diagram. I also purchased some heat wrap which I'm going to wrap the exhaust with by the starter. Finally, if all this fails, I'll go with the mini starter.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Anyone have an idea where this cable with the computer disconnect can be purchased. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Wait a minute, that cable is for an 86. Would it be the same for an 84 with CFI?

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Wait a minute, that cable is for an 86. Would it be the same for an 84 with CFI?
    Funny thing is sometime things for an 84 dont have a listing but match up to an 86. For example on my 84 I have a TPS mounted next to my CFI. But try looking up a TFI for an 84 and nobody has a listing for it. I got a motorcraft for an 86 and it matched perfect. The 84 is just an odd year for part matching. I made a separate ground with 2 ring connectors for mine and connected one end to the negative clamp and the other to the radiator support.

Even if I could find one of those negative cables for an 86 I cant use it anymore because the blade terminal on mine was removed and hard wired.