Close

Default 18x8 fitment on an 80 with sn95 swapped rear and spindles

I bought myself a pair of cheap 18s. I know they’ll be tight. The front is gonna be an issue with the turning radius. What’s the smallest tire that’ll fit on a 18x8? Anyways Just wondering if anyone has done this and any suggestions. Thanks four eye family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Super Member

Back space and off set are all that really matters I suppose .
    Sorry I am not of more help .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Like Ashley said depends on backspace specs. A 245 width tire sidewall comes up just even with the wheel lip on an 8 inch wheel usually. Anything narrower and it pulls the sidewall out and makes the tire look goofy. IMHO
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

18x8 will have little-to-no problems in front provided everything is adjusted properly and offset and backspace are correct and the right size tires are used.

I run 245/45/17's on SN95 tribar rims on my car. I have very little rubbing of any sort.

A good friend runs 255/40/17's on 9" wheels with 27mm. Had to use rack limiters, but he made the 9 work fine. They rubbed on the control arm, believe it or not. A larger diameter rim or a narrower rim would have helped with that.

I'd visit a tire size translator site and look up these sizes as a starting point.

Plan on one or two pairs of camber bolts. Expect to need caster/camber plates too in order to get things situated. You NEED your struts dead-center for maximum tire/wheel clearance with a wheel/tire that's centered. Also that happens to allow you to max out caster which moves the wheel back away from the front apron while providing better geometry too.

On my car I had to jack my fenderwells up and out of the way as much a possible then screw them into place snugly. the factory hardware had given up long ago.

Bring your patience. You can make one hell of a lot fit in a stock wheel opening with patience.

Fitment will vary depending on spindles used, rear axle used, offset/backspacing, wheel size, tire size, alignment, and ride height.

First, SN95 spindles, 94/95 or 96-04?

Stock or Aftermarket K member?

Stock Fox or SN95 front control arms?

Rear Axle What year SN95 model?

Current wheel specifications 18X8 with what offset or backspacing?

Next why move to an 18X8 only to mount the smallest tire possible? Or do you mean to say the best size that will clear everything and yet still fit on an 8" wheel?

I personally run 17X9 Cobra R's with 255/40/17 tires on all four corners of my 79 Pace Car. You can make some decent size wheels/tires fit a Fox, but you have to plan, know what you have, and know where your limitations will be. More information is needed to help you sort out your setup.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 09-18-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Fitment will vary depending on spindles used, rear axle used, offset/backspacing, wheel size, tire size, alignment, and ride height.

First, SN95 spindles, 94/95 or 96-04?

Stock or Aftermarket K member?

Stock Fox or SN95 front control arms?

Rear Axle What year SN95 model?

Current wheel specifications 18X8 with what offset or backspacing?

Next why move to an 18X8 only to mount the smallest tire possible? Or do you mean to say the best size that will clear everything and yet still fit on an 8" wheel?

I personally run 17X9 Cobra R's with 255/40/17 tires on all four corners of my 79 Pace Car. You can make some decent size wheels/tires fit a Fox, but you have to plan, know what you have, and know where your limitations will be. More information is needed to help you sort out your setup.
    The 8.8 and the spindles came off of an 94 donor car. I have stock k member and stock fox control arms. Like you said I want the right size of tire fitment for my application.

I will have to get back to you on the backspacing and offset. I’ll measure them up tomorrow. The guy I bought them off of had them bolted to his 92 but never told me there were just for pictures he said they were off of a 07 mustang idk if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by braydenrey11 View Post
    The 8.8 and the spindles came off of an 94 donor car. I have stock k member and stock fox control arms. Like you said I want the right size of tire fitment for my application.

I will have to get back to you on the backspacing and offset. I’ll measure them up tomorrow. The guy I bought them off of had them bolted to his 92 but never told me there were just for pictures he said they were off of a 07 mustang idk if that helps.

Ok, good! You want the 94/95 spindles when using the stock K member.

The rear axle is 1.5" wider than the Fox rear axle, so that affects your backspacing/offset.

Generally up front an 8" front wheel with @ 30mm offset works pretty well. Generally a 245 fits well with an 8" front wheel also again depending on your alignment and ride height.

In the rear the same @ 30mm offset may work, but you will be most likely be very tight to the outer fender lips and they will need to be rolled for clearance. In many cases, more offset may be preferred for added clearance. to the fender lips. Again ride height and tire size will all affect your clearance. As well as your rear control arms. I highly recommend the Maximum Motorsports lower and the stock style uppers with rubber bushings. A panhard rod can also be advantageous to prevent the rearend side to side movement under hard cornering.

If the wheels are truly off a 2005 and later they may have more offset such as 40-45mm due to the wider track of the S197 models. If that is the case, then you may be required to run hubcentric spacers to move the wheels further outboard as the deeper offset will pull the wheels in towards the suspension. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I currently have a set of 18X9 and 18X10 wheels that came off an 05 up car. They were on an 04 Mach 1 and did not fit right at all. The backspacing is 6-3/8 and 7-3/8 respectively. There were 1-1/2 inch spacers on the back making the wheels stick out causing major fender rubbing on the rear. I think they would fit ok if the spacers were only 1/2 inch actually. Dont know if this helps any but just thought I'd throw those specs out there for you.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I measured up those wheels tonight. From what I understand they have a 50 mm offset and backspacing was 160 mm if I measured correctly.

I measured up those wheels tonight. From what I understand they have a 50 mm offset and backspacing was 160 mm if I measured correctly. Thanks for all of the help guys. I haven’t done the 5 lug swap yet. I probably will have more questions on that later lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

What setup do you have in front to make the 9" wide wheels work? I know I tried years ago, but with a stock k member.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

On my buddy’s 86GT we used 17x9 rims with 27mm offset. 255/40/17 tires. Had to use rack limiters clear a 17x9. The hoops rub on the A arm which has to be stopped with rack limiters.

Your hub is 1/8” further out per side with the 94-95 spindle.

caster and camber have to be just so to fit them. Found max caster on both sides, set worst side at max and the other side to match. Used 87-93 struts and spacers with the SN95 spindles. Had to use camber bolts on the top hole to get to -1.75 degrees of camber. Used stock toe setting when it was a street car, went to 0 toe to help with turn in once it was given track duty

Worked with stock A arms, Stock k member, shimmed Fox balljoints
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.

If I were serious about setting one up, I’d for sure ditch the Fox balljoint because the low friction Fox balljoints are long gone. I’d use an SN95 balljoint.

A drop spindle or a longer balljoint like the X2 helps with the roll center. (these balljoints unfortunately are NOT low friction but they are a damn site better than what was on the four eyed fox if for no other reason than the length that leavers on the joint itself)

Stock K member on the 91+ is a touch wider than the revisions observed 79-90.

94-95 A arms are longer than foxbody if you want/need a wider stance.

The rear axle on the 94-98 8.8’s is 3/4” per side wider. Get a SN95 rear brake with North Racecar adapters and fox width axles.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    What setup do you have in front to make the 9" wide wheels work? I know I tried years ago, but with a stock k member.
    My setup is stock K member, stock front control arms, SN95 ball joints, 94/95 Spindles, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, Bilstein struts. and 24mm offset Cobra Rs. I have a slight rub when going up or down an incline with the wheels turned, but otherwise no issues. OH! I am running 03/04 Cobra front springs that I cut one coil off for lowering.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller