Close

Default High temp paint needed for transmission tunnel?

I'm about to s al up my rusty floor pan with POR15 on the rusty parts and primer/paint on the good parts, but got to wondering...will my transmission tunnel or even part of the floor get too hot for the paint saying. It use in applications above 200 degrees?

im hoping to avoid the high temp stuff since that usually needs to be heat baked to cure properly...that's easy to do on a grill or exhaust, but not so much on interior.

appreciate any advice!

Regular paint. Pan can get warm but not that hot. Engine and exhaust heat, certain spots.
    Added heat in winter, added misery in summer, especially thru shifter cutout area.
    If pan paint blisters or your shoes melt, need heat shields on whatever is causing the heat. Or something is on fire.
    Maybe that hot in NASCAR. JR said on tv gets to 1000 hundred or something degrees in race car foot wells.

My car has factory installed white fiberglass pads, inside on rear seat pan, over where the muffler is.
    Removed the carpeting/pads in front pans. Dirt collector, water sponges in a daily driver. Good for rust.
    Using thick rubber sheets and mats. If pan gets wet, towel dry. No paint is damaged from heat. Rusting stopped.

Mufflers and cats have heat shields. Some pipes too if near heat sensitive areas or parts.
    Worked at a company that mfg oem exhaust systems.
    Make pipes, cats, mufflers, diesel after treatment systems, robot welded into assys.
    Common to see pipes with a section of metallic wrap with metal zip ties or heat shields per oem design.
    Easy to find at pic a part yards.
    Also under body metallic heat shields fastened directly on floor pan.
    They used Rustoleum bbq black to touch up blacked out tail pipe section scratches. Nothing special.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-15-2018 at 12:20 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Around 25 years ago or so we had the entire underbody of our '67 Biscayne sandblasted and painted with POR-15. We top coated that with red oxide primer and costed on top of that with semi-flat black. Still looks good today. I wouldn't worry about heat damaging any of the paint.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I run cats and did mine with black engine enamel...... It was on sale so it was a no-brainer.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.