Close

Default 82 mustang brake booster for disc

I cant seem to find anything other option then the old hammer for brake booster in the four eye with 4 wheel disc using the search tab. Did anyone ever come up with a solution so shock tower isnt compromised.

Or could I buy a kit to just make a 5 lug drum in back. I been looking for a 86+ fox 4 lug rear and just had a sn95 rear pop up for a good price. So if I could keep the 5 lug and go from disc to drums so factory booster will work I am ok as its just a weekend cruiser.

Not exactly sure what you are doing, but your current booster will work fine for a rear disc setup. Search here for the ultimate 5 lug thread. It's on the what's new page right now

FEP Senior Member

I'm not sure what four wheel disc setup you are looking at using. I am going to SN95 Cobra brakes all around on my car. I will be using a 94/95 Cobra master cylinder and on the advice I have read here multiple times will just be using my stock '85 booster. I've read multiple times that the effort to install the Cobra booster is not worth it. Worst case you can try it with your stock booster and if you don't like it then look at other options.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

LMR has 5-lug disc/drum kits complete for $399

Highway robbery compared to what you can do it for in reality....

I know someone selling a 8.8 disc brake 5 lug that was supposedly on a fox. I read the sticky on here about 5 lug swap. I got confused by this...

Brake Booster
    larger brake booster from a 94-95 V8 or V6 or a 96-98 V6 or a 93 Cobra.
    It is impossible to install a larger brake booster into an 86 and older fox body without massaging the strut tower. Do not beat the strut tower with a sledge hammer. Proper massaging procedures should be used to avoid damaging the structural integrity of the strut tower. Improper massaging techniques will produce negative results and can lead to the sheet metal cracking.

So I assumed I needed and upgrade. So I can just get rid of my prop valve add an aftermarket and everything will work.

Yep..

LMR has a vid for this.

Pretty sure you can just replace master cylinder and your stock booster will be fine.

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by 84-tTop View Post
    LMR has a vid for this.
    I seen they sell a booster for conversion but there wasnt a video. Google just tells about people using hammer to make room then other people saying dont do that as you may weaken tower. So I was just asking if booster is needed and if so any option other than hammer. I mean if I can add sn95 master to my booster, then just swap rear, modify lines to fit thats seems easy enough.

That's what I did 79 booster to 94 mc. You will have to get a couple shirt premade lines from the parts store, because the 94 mc is iso flare. Then just bend them up cut the ends off and put new inverted flares back on. Don't forget yo put the nuts on first also make sure you still have the loop or whatever is between your master and prop valve now. You dont want those lines right, they need to flex some

I hammered in a strut tower on an 1987 Mustang I did a 5lug rear disc. Don’t do it. Leave your booster alone. Go to this video link, above, skip all the parts about mounting the brakes and go right to the part under the hood. A lot of good stuff there.

Maximum motorsports makes those MC to proportioning valve lines pre bent and ready to go

Thanks you guys are awesome.

M1858 master cyl is 1” and bolt on. Just needs one $3 line adapter.

I believe the Torino has a direct bolt on also 1”. 70 or 71 if I remember correctly .....

Forget changing lines unless there’s a purpose

i run M1858 with Stock 86 booster, summit prop valve, LMR plug on the Stock gutted valve, 99GT calipers in front, 95 GT rear brakes. Braided lines, high performance pads, etc. stops great.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I'm not sure what four wheel disc setup you are looking at using. I am going to SN95 Cobra brakes all around on my car. I will be using a 94/95 Cobra master cylinder and on the advice I have read here multiple times will just be using my stock '85 booster. I've read multiple times that the effort to install the Cobra booster is not worth it. Worst case you can try it with your stock booster and if you don't like it then look at other options.

++1. Did this and brakes are awesome with the stock 84 booster. Cobras all around and 95 Cobra (15/16" bore) master cylinder. Get the MM pre-bent master cylinder to distribution block lines and you are set.
    05 Corvette Z51