Close

Default Disappearing body lines

I have been working on the body of my 82 5.0 GLX off and on for a couple of years. A couple of weeks ago I decided it is now or never so I jumped back in with both feet and am planning on getting it paint ready by end of October. Not truly remembering where I left off, I grabbed the long durablock and some 220 dry paper and went to work. I started with the hood, then fenders, then doors.

What I found when sanding both the fenders and the doors was that the upper body line seems to disappear about 1 inch in front of the door and for about 1.5 inches into the door. It is truely gone on the fenders and is super light on the door.

Is this unusual or fairly standard. I know my fenders and doors are stock with no previous bodywork in that area.

Using high fill primer and the durablock, I brought the line to the end of the fenders and am working on the doors now. I think it will look right when I am done. Maybe the factory pinstripe hid this flaw?

Kenny

I will examine mine, which is unaltered, and get back to you
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82

Something is off in regards to your fenders and doors. I have multiple Fox Mustangs out here and all of them have a body line that is continuous from the front bumper cover to the tail lights. The body line is a bit more pronounced or crisp in the middle of the fenders than at either end of the fender, but the body line is still there and should be felt easily with your hand.

I can provide pictures if needed if that might help. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I am betting that some stampings are not as crisp as others. There is a bulge where the line should be, but it is very "soft", not nearly as crisp as the front quarters or the mid fenders. Very similar to the front of the 82 hood where the body line comes down to the lip. There is a line there but it is really soft. As I block it the line gets really sharp and stands out. I was taught to sand to a straight, sharp line, then soften it as needed because the sharp line is easier to see if it is straight.

I just really stands out in the priming / blocking stage much more than when it was painted.

Thanks
    Kenny

My observations confirm Trey's. Funny how after 36 years I had to go look because I never really paid it any mind before.
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82