Close

Default 1986 3.8l swap to a carburated 302

Hey everyone I just picked up a motor for my 1986 Lx hatchback and was wondering what I would need to change on the car when doing such a swap. The new motor is a ford 302 from shafiroff racing and I was curious as to what aspects of the car need to be changed when going from the stock 3.8l to this new motor . I bought new motor mounts and a new rear. I was just hoping someone who has maybe done this before or has a little bit more knowledge could help me out. Below I have a picture of the old and new engine. Thankyou, I very much appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

So many things must be changed going from V6 to V8. Unless you have specific RPM goals or already have the V8 bought, personally I’d strongly consider a 351W based build and limit R’s to 6000 due to the larger main bearings vs 302.

8.8 or better rear end, T5Z or better transmission (Astro, Gforce, etc) advised. You’ll need full exhaust — headers, H pipe with cats, mid pipes and mufflers, tailpipes.

Youll need radiator, all coolant lines, fan, shroud, starter, accessory mounts, accessories, etc.

I did pretty much this same swap on my ‘83,
    Swapped the v6 for a 302.

You’ll have to change the engine, transmission, rearend and exhaust. You’ll need the dual exhaust transmission crossmember.

I drove my car for a few months with the small v6 rear end but don’t recommend that.

Depending on transmission you may need a different length driveshaft.

The stock rad worked in my car with new hoses, the engine brackets on the v6 won’t be of any use on a v8.

If you have a mechanical fuel pump now and are using same on new engine all you’re good.

I upgraded to ‘87 up spindles and brakes for better stopping but the car did ok for one summer with the small brakes and the v8

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk