Close

Default Who is afraid of heights?

Don't try this at home.

https://youtu.be/3R3-YwDZrzg

Came across this amazing gentleman from the UK. Known as a Steeplejack. Repairs chimneys and falls them using an old world method. Also into rebuilding steam (traction) engines.

If you want some real entertainment just search on Fred Didnah on YouTube.

Not Me, I'm stupid in that way I guess. Many years ago in my 20's, I was a roofer and had many three story roof jobs. Never feared any. As a kid we even had a 100 Foot CB Ham Radio tower on the side of the house. I use to climb it all the time when I was at the age of 10+. Never fear things. Grab hold and just do it, lol.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

FEP Super Member

Not me either, build 365 foot radio towers frequently , 18 inch wide .
    Lots of swaying , with the wind , but what a view when you get to the top .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I'm not afraid of heights but I do respect them. The fall never hurts you but that sudden stop at the end can be a killer!

I've re-roofed my own 2 1/2 story house twice (9/12 pitch) and have also cut down some pretty tall pine trees by climbing to the top and working my way down cutting as I went. But I do try to not take foolish chances.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Not afraid of heights -- just afraid of falling. how's that. I've taken a spill off of a 3 story before. Luckily the ground was soft under the trailer we had just moved after tear-off. did it putting toe hold on, damn. Got back up and went back to work. that was the moment when I decided that I wasn't going to do the whole construction thing my entire life.

I've shingled and built and crawled plenty since. The worst one was a 180 foot tower before the ice had melted off after an ice storm. Had to climb it to reconnect an antenna to an outdoor wireless AP and restore internet connectivity to several thousand people. Haven't climbed more than just a handful of other towers since.

My latest "oh crap" was the top of a 24 foot extension ladder leaned up against my new house. I tied it off at the top directly to the structure because I knew the ground was soft as hell. The bottom of it basically disappeared into the ground until it pulled the tie-off tight. Sure am glad it held my overweight self!