Close

Default Upper windshield garnish molding clips

I need to replace my upper windshield garnish molding clips. I have looked a few places and the closest I came was NPD https://www.npdlink.com/product/reta...%3D0%26year%3D it is for my ‘86 SVO, but NPD lists these for 79-82 is there a difference in the retainer clips and garnish moldings for the earlier years? I looked through my body manual and did not see a PN listed for the Mustang retainer, but did find the PN 03552 (same as NPD part above) in the same manual under different models for the upper garnish panel clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

FEP Power Member

I believe the clips come with the molding which is why there may not be a call out. You might also find the mounting hardware listed in the manual directly after the trim pieces.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Look at a company called Auveco. They have all kinds of moulding clips. You might need to find a body shop supply place or a glass shop to get what you need.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

If you're talking about this clip...

Name:  Headliner Clip.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  107.9 KB

That is Ford part number D9ZZ 6603552-A. They used to be easy to find new, but as with all the original parts, they are drying up.

The clip on the NPD website appears to be the same one, but the clip for 80-82 Mustangs did use a different part number. I'm not sure of what the differences between the two clips are.

Do a search on Ebay for "Mustang headliner trim clips" and you will find some listings. Compare the clips on those listings with the ones you're looking for and you'll be able to compare and make sure that's what you want. The clips are the same for 83-93 Mustangs.

If you want new ones (other than NPD), the only places with any quantity left are these (according to rearcounter.com and partsvoice.com);

McDonald Obsolete Parts: 812-359-4965 (showing 4)
    Bob Allen Ford: 913-381-3000 (showing 4)

Be prepared to pay a premium for new clips.

You could also visit the junkyard and look for any Mustang from 83-93 and the clips will be the same.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by tbirdman; 09-12-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Yes that is the clip I am referring to. Thank you for the help. I am interested to know the difference or if there is any in the 79-82 vs 83-93 clips.

Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

My parts listing calls for 4 of the D9AZ 5403552-A clips on the 80-82 Mustangs, and only 3 of the D9ZZ clips on the 83 and newer Mustangs.

As far as what the differences are (if any), you would have to get one of the D9AZ clips and one of the D9ZZ clips and compare them side by side.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Interesting. Thanks for the help again. I will give bob Allen a call tomorrow and see what the damage will be(they are right up the road from me as well) otherwise I’ll try ebaybor the JY.

Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT