Close

FEP Member

Default Interior sound deadening

Have a 100 sq ft roll of 50 ml fat mat coming.any tips on where to start etc?i have a real nice acc formed mass backing carpet to go over it.should be a lot nicer inside.good enough I’m assuming.also,I plan on cleaning the floor real good before I start.should I use just a regular paint prep rattle can to clean it?acetone work?

FEP Member

wel,i got started..what a pita! ill have to rethink my future engine mods,to handle all the extra weight. hoping to be able to hear a mouse pissing on cotton when im done

Looking good! You'll be glad those inner wheel wells are covered! Can't tell where the last picture was taken.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Member

thanks! is that where a lot of the road noise comes from?that pic is terrible.its looking in the drivers rear quarter panel.where gas filler is on passenger side.i cant believe how rust free it is in here.
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.

looking good. I have to do this soon also.
    1. Way Fat Fat over others so many choices to choose from
    2. Is 100sq ft enough or is it too much
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    looking good. I have to do this soon also.
    1. Way Fat Fat over others so many choices to choose from
    2. Is 100sq ft enough or is it too much
    100 sq ft is probably a little too much.i did alot of internet research on this stuff.i found this brand on ebay.i paid 109.00 shipped to the door.it was two 50ft rolls,thats why i ended up with 100sq ft.80 would probably be enough to do it all.from firewall to taillights.80ml was more money than i wanted to spend.plus so far im very happy with the quality of it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/100sq-ft-Pr...IAAOSwF8lbAdcP

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    thanks! is that where a lot of the road noise comes from?
    Yeah. I didn't do mine past the back seat and it's still noticeable.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

What you should do on the rest of it is spray in

there are SO many sources of large amounts of road noise on these old foxes. Putting some mat on the inside of the doors is helpful. Spraying the bottom side of the roof skin is too.

you can go too far so the inside sounds more like a 2019 Lincoln than what the design really is..... a 40 year old beer can on wheels with too much motor.... lol. Love these things....

another major source of noise is where the upper upper and lower torque boxes attach to the floor. Mat then coating in those areas also helps. also the runs on the floor where it’s welded to the subframe. Subframe connectors also take a lot of shake out of it in those areas too. Maximum Motorsports is the ones I would use...... and did use on my 85 build.

FEP Member

Yes! Subframe connectors Are on the list.i have a mm strut tower brace,mm k member brace,eibach pro line springs and sway bars.going to go with the matching eibach struts and shocks..and I have a set of 17x8-17-9 cobra r’s with nitto 555’s.shoukd be good enough.i thought about spraying the rest erratic but I have a over abundance of this and some time to do it..plus I’d rather spend the money on go fast parts

Very similar to my 85 GT that has full 85 Saleen / Racecraft suspension under it. lots of early Saleen parts. Wing, ground effects on both sides. I sourced a crap load of parts and Trey is finishing the job of making it a Saleen clone.

vintage parts include the Eibach springs, Koni shocks/struts, square tube lower K brace — all Racecraft/Saleen

Ive added MM subframe connectors, MM panhard bar, 8.8 rearend, rear disc brakes, 11” front brakes, SVO spindles with SN95 balljoints and adapters, HPM caster/camber plates, two sets of mesh wheels - 16x7 ARE mesh from an 85 GT that was parted, 16x8 Riken that came from an 85 Saleen. 225/50/16 G2 tires.

Will be interesting to see what it does once it’s done.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-18-2018 at 01:40 AM.

FEP Member

im sure it will be a nice set up when done erratic.sounds pissa.i have a little more deadening to do and it will be time to lay the new carpet in.i discoverd some rust on the seam in pic.used por15 and sealed it up.hoping this makes a difference

I haven't used POR 15 in many years, so I can't remember its specific properties. If what you put on the rust is a rust convertor/encapsulator you should be fine. If the coating is just a seal coat/top coat then the rust will continue to deteriorate over time. Also you want to verify if there is rust on the underside of the body too in that location and neutralize that too if there. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Just a quick question to see if anyone knows. What's the sound deadener they use on Garage Squad? Looks like the rolls of stuff you find at Lowes or HD, but is self adhesive. I'm just curious, don't remember them ever saying a brand name for it.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Senior Member

The stuff from Lowes or Home Depot is known as Ice Guard. It's a tar based material, and may smell like it when the car gets hot in the summer.

Name:  20181029_203006.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  108.2 KB this is the stuff from lowes. It is very sticky, not so much when it's cold out, but when its warm it is quite sticky. I'm not sure the base, but its does melt if you weld too close to it. Its aluminum backed and takes shape very well when you push it into crevices with your finger... or maybe use a screwdriver handle because when you put that much pressure on your finger then hit a self tapper or a metal sliver you will push it all the way to your bone. I have not noticed any smell to it. It's about 6 in. wide. I have used 3 rolls on my firewall roof and floor. I will definitely put it inside my door shell and on the rear quarters when I get them replaced.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 10-29-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Here's what I've used in 3 vehicles with incredible results. Easy to install, not too expensive, no smell and zero issues several years later. Amazing product.

http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-2...-41-625-sq-ft/
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I haven't used POR 15 in many years, so I can't remember its specific properties. If what you put on the rust is a rust convertor/encapsulator you should be fine. If the coating is just a seal coat/top coat then the rust will continue to deteriorate over time. Also you want to verify if there is rust on the underside of the body too in that location and neutralize that too if there. Good Luck!
    ive never used por15 myself until now.i bought a 4oz can of it off ebay.4oz's goes along way.i did two coats and im very impressed with it.it is a impervious solid,sealed barrier over it.i did inspect underneath and there is some rust there that i will tend to this spring.the car was blasted before i bought it,so i have to attack the undercarriage when i do my suspension upgrades.

Hey i just started doing my interior in sound deadening material also. I got mine off amazon 80mil and 34 sq ft of it. I did my math wrong and only go as far as my back seats. I doubled up on the tran tunnel though. I have a new front carpet coming so after the front is all done ill probably get some more and do the back. Havent decided if ill go with the spray in stuff of more of the sheets

My DD Honda Insight had no real sound deadening from the factory. After lots of research I found this combination of layering and it has worked extremely well to reduce interior road noise in the Honda, and even more so, in my 1992 F150.

1st layer, stops nvh:
    Stinger Roadkill Expert Mat 80 mil butyl plus aluminum
    https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKX36...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2nd layer, insulates & deaden sound:
    Noico Green 170 mil Closed cell PE foam waterproof sound insulation
    https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Waterpr...11108762&psc=1

3rd layer, deadens sound. Use velcro to hold it on vertical surfaces:
    Mass Loaded Vinyl 1lb. 1/8"
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DR9BRHC..._t3_B07K1G728X

Use the first 2 layers on both the exterior & interior vertical surfaces inside the doors. Use a quality roller to roll each layer down well. The adhesives are pressure sensitive so need good, firm contact to bond well.

There are lots of brand choices that are similar in product, function, and price. I used the Stinger brand because a friend who is a career Auto Sound professional recommended it as a cost effective product that performs well. My results confirmed this. I wouldn't be afraid of using other brands with good reviews.

Get some open cell foam in various thicknesses from Hobby Lobby and cut to snug fit into the bottoms of your doors and other open cavities. Cheap, easy, and highly effective.

You could use residential carpet pad in place of the 2nd and 3rd layers and still get good results for less money.

I've used the "Peel and Seal" from Lowes in the past in several vehicles. I won't use it again, and if you do, check it occasionally during the summer as it can come loose and fall down. It didn't smell for me. The biggest advantage of this stuff is that it is cheap. A roll doesn't go very far either so you'll be going back to Lowes a few times to get more. You'll realize that it isn't much, if any, less money than quality sound deadening. I didn't find it to be all that effective but it did help.

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 09-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Among the benefits of sound deadening is that the stereo will sound much better and at lower volume and the interior of the car won't get as hot in the summer. Climate controls are more effective. Conversation & phone calls are much easier.

These were noticeable differences in both vehicles (in the Dallas, Texas summer) that I used this method on in the past year. The wife's Honda is next, and, eventually, the Mustang.

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 09-22-2019 at 11:25 PM.