Close

FEP Member

Default 1985 mustang gt rear brakes

looking to restore my rear brakes on a budget..they are all stock now..just want to replace with stock parts so i can get this thing in driveable condition for next spring.what's the best place to order this stuff from?what are some good name brands?what names should i stay away from?also does anybody turn drums anymore?

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

www.rockauto.com. Search online and you easily find 5% discount codes to use on their site.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

I get 90% of my parts from RockAuto lately. I usually order several thousand dollars worth of parts from them a year and I have never had a problem that they couldn't/didn't make right.

Looks like they have Raybestos, Wagner, Bendix, and even Motorcraft shoes for your car. I generally stay away from the economy grade parts for pads and shoes. They also have complete brake hardware kits and self adjuster repair kits. Any of the brands they have listed for both should be fine. Drums are up to you. I'm usually working in the middle of the night so it isn't feasible to have drums/rotors turned so I normally just replace with new. If yours are in spec and you have the time to have them turned and you can find someone to do it then go for it. If buying new I usually use Centric C-Tek rotors and drums, but the Bendix, Wagner, and Raybestos drums should be fine too.

You used to be able to walk into any parts store and have drums/rotors turned. Now with Advance/AutoZone/O'Relly taking over it is getting harder. Some NAPA stores have a machine shop and should be able to turn them for you. Otherwise the good locally owned shops used to do it, but finding one can be a challenge these days.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Ordered all my stuff from rock auto for my 84.5 rear and front brakes. Get the hardware kit for the rear. Has all the springs and stuff you need. Also usually I just go with the stuff that has the little heart by the name. I ordered the Carlson brake drum hardware kit. #H7246. Raybestos drums and shoes.

+1 on rock auto, I order almost all my parts from them these days.

Drums are cheap enough you might as well buy new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shoes offered separately and in the Maximum Motorsports kit aren’t a lot more than the off the shelf factory stuff.

if you swap the front spindles to 87-93 V8 you can get the whole kit. Takes 60-0 down vastly. Much safer.

The factory front pads can be replaced with a ceramic or carbon-fiber derived compound that yields no dust and a lot more stopping power than stock

Just a thought

FEP Member

I will check out rock auto.thanks for the info.i do like the idea of upgrading.at some point I will convert over to five lug and do the brakes too.being stock and the amount of time I will be driving it,I think stock will work for now.i have four lug cobra r’s I wanna run for awhile,with eibach shocks,struts,springs,and sway bars..thinking running the nitto 555’s for tires
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 09-10-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Just the rear pads.... they aren’t that much more. Especially compared to body work
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/H...9-93-P665.aspx

this is the kit made for the 87-93
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/B...7-93-P676.aspx

If I would have delayed a brake improvement on my 1986GT it would be totaled and I would be dead. I had an exceptionally close call even after all the upgrades I’ve done. I’m forever grateful to my friend Jeremy who respectfully disagreed with my (bad) idea to leave my brakes stock.

Im not saying go off on it. At least upgrade the pads