Close

Default Front Sway bar brackets for a 84.5

Hey guys, went to replace my sway bar end links and bushings today and noticed that my sway brackets are toast lol. What brackets do you all recommended are good to replace them?
    Attachment 123661
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 09-09-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Unless those brackets are supposed to be bent like that? In that case I would sandblast and re use

Not supposed to be like that. Did you change a-arms?

Most likely the sway bar was used at one point to pull the car onto a trailer or tow it. Happens all the time as it is an easy location to attach a tow strap or chain to. Same reason so many lower core supports are damaged in these cars.

Essentially any sway bar bracket from 79-93 can be made to work. It is often easiest to find the 87-93 brackets just because so many are still out there and many get converted to drag cars and ditch the front bar. The SVO brackets are slightly different, so I don't recommend those.

Honestly yours are not that bad. You could try straightening them and most likely be able to reuse them. Here is a link to a set on Ebay for reference or if you would rather replace them. Good Luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1993-M...MAAOSwEW9ahOjn
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Most likely the sway bar was used at one point to pull the car onto a trailer or tow it. Happens all the time as it is an easy location to attach a tow strap or chain to. Same reason so many lower core supports are damaged in these cars.

Essentially any sway bar bracket from 79-93 can be made to work. It is often easiest to find the 87-93 brackets just because so many are still out there and many get converted to drag cars and ditch the front bar. The SVO brackets are slightly different, so I don't recommend those.

Honestly yours are not that bad. You could try straightening them and most likely be able to reuse them. Here is a link to a set on Ebay for reference or if you would rather replace them. Good Luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1993-M...MAAOSwEW9ahOjn
    Ok thanks Trey, I will see if I can fix em first. Are the prothane ones that lmr sell any good? Kind of confused if those are stock replacements or for some kind of conversion?

These ones? First is 1 5/16, second link is 1 1/8
    https://lmr.com/item/PT-191138BL/Mus...ushing-for-Mm-

https://lmr.com/item/PT-191136BL/mus...-1-8-inch-7993

Also I just measured my stock sway bar with calipers and it measured 1.283. I'm assuming that I have the 1 5/16 sway bar?
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 09-10-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Well they look better than before lol.
    Attachment 123708

Edit: sorry for the sideways pic. not sure why it keeps happening.

Here is final piece with sway bar that was sandblasted and painted. Turned out not bad for a rookie lol
    Attachment 123709

The Prothane mounts can work, but they don't lower the bar as much as the OEM units which can cause clearance issues sometimes at the oil pan.

Mounts look much better. I generally measure my swaybar using a large open end wrench. Most 4 Eyes have either an 1 1/8 or 1 5/16 front bar so that makes it quick and easy to verify in most cases. The SVO front bar is 1.20 or just under 1 1/4" if you have one of those.

I use Prothane or Energy Suspension Poly Urethane bushings for most of my vehicles both work just fine. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks! Also is there a measurement to go off when putting bar back on? Where should the brackets sit on the sway bar?

Just make sure to get a good film of grease on that bar and inside the bushings. Your ears will thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Thanks! Also is there a measurement to go off when putting bar back on? Where should the brackets sit on the sway bar?
    Not sure there is any measurement. As long as your end links are straight and adjusted properly, the bar will essentially center itself as long as your brackets are reasonably straight.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Just make sure to get a good film of grease on that bar and inside the bushings. Your ears will thankyou
    Crap, that would have been nice to know before I muscled those brackets on. Lol what type of grease do I use? Like bearing grease?

I like a silicone grease on poly, but bearing grease would work too. I always used that when I changed rubber ones in the shop. Something to cut the squeaking