Close

Default 86 3.8 V6 losing coolant?

At this point i'm just making separate posts outlining these issues that come up to reflect on. Please bear with me.

Last night i took the stang to a local car show, still a decent drive from home though. Halfway through my temp went up again, pulled over and let it cool, topping off my overflow.

another three miles down and i noticed my oil pressure gauge was pinned all the way to the right, being high. Considering i only had another mile left til i got there, i kept with the plan and finished the trip.

Let it sit for half an hour, started up and drove it back home. Oil pressure gauge still shoots all the way right. Car runs fine.

Finishing the story, i went to check on the coolant again, a little low on the overflow again. There's nothing sitting under the car... I have my concerns that coolant is getting into the block... will update...
    Ray

1986 Mustang "Frankenstang" '03 IRS 3.8 CFI
    1997 Crown Victoria, partially Grand Marquis

FEP Senior Member

Pull the dipstick and see what it looks like. Head gaskets aren't the end of the world to do on the 3.8, but if you run it too long with coolant in the oil you will wipe out the bearings.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

false alarm...

oil pressure sending unit was in horrible condition. everything else looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

well, quick update.
    I was noticing a significant loss in coolant yet again, none of the coolant is going into the oil from what i can see, never noticed any pools forming under the car either. took it out for a decently long cruise the other night, no loss in coolant afterwards.

I still did a pressure test on my cooling system (just as a precaution) today, my cap is rated for 16 lbs, pumped it up to 15. There were leaks coming from the timing cover at the top of my water pump and around the thermostat. I've never seen any leaks from these spots before.

did another check when i got home, letting the car get warm, then checking the spots where the leaks were. absolutely nothing coming from those spots.

Really trying to figure out what my issue could be, i'm losing coolant but without any indication on where it could be going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

Sounds like you found the problem, ''leaks around timing cover and thermostat" when pumped to 15lbs. It may only leak when cold, and when hot it expands the parts, stopping the leak. Over the years I have seen many leaks that only show up when engine is cool.

Yep. Congratulations on finding the leaks. I don't think there's any more questions or did I miss it? Your cap is likely 30 years old and might hold 8 lbs at this point I would guess.