Close

Thread: Rear 1/4 panels

Default Rear 1/4 panels

My Capri's Quarters are looking old and pretty beat up, I wanted to steal some from a mustang as they should be the same. I've been looking around for replacements and done some reading on the forums and found out that 79-82 panels are slightly different than the 83 panels, the poster mentioned that the 83 panels are the same as the ones also found in 85 and 86 mustangs. Is that true? Also how hard is it to make 79-82 panels fit in a 1983? I've found some panels from an 86 that I would like to use. Also does anyone have any experience painting these panels? I'd like to find some black ones but if I come across some blue or red panels I was wondering if they would come out looking okay when painted black?
    Here is a picture of some of the panels just to be clear
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  61.7 KB
    Last edited by meezy2; 09-06-2018 at 09:10 PM.

http://www.slantnosefox.com/techarti...riorguide.html

IF those wont work for you I be interested in buying them

As stated there is a difference in regards to the area under the rear quarter window between the 79-82 and the 83-86 quarter panel. Other than that and the obvious color option differences the panels will physically interchange. Some of the screw hole locations might be slightly different, but again not a major modification to correct. Most of the time either a self drilling screw or a small drill bit will take care of that.

I personally have swapped 1/4 panels from different years of the Four Eyes back and forth with few if any issues. I have also installed the 87-93 panels in several of my Four Eyes over the years again with only some minor modifications. I have actually gone so far to install a set of 91 rear quarter panels in my 82 GT complete with the rear shoulder belts installed too. So with some forethought and planning any of them can be made to fit. I personally wouldn't hesitate to install any of the Four Eyed panels in my Capri if needed and actual will be doing the same to my 82 RS. If going for originality then obviously match the panel to your year model.

In regards to redyeing/repainting the panels prep is what makes the most difference. If going black, then any panel will work. You want to clean the panels well. I personally like MEK but you have to be careful and not soak the plastic as it will melt or smear the grain if you use too much. MEK is nasty stuff but it does remove all grease, grime, release agents, silicones, etc. Just use appropriate safety gear such as respirator and gloves. If you don't like that you can use other cleaners such as Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, etc. Again don't soak or over saturate the plastic. Once the panel is clean then I spray Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter as per the can directions. Then I will spray my color coat in 2-3 medium wet coats. I prefer to use quart size color and spray with a HVLP gun rather than rattle cans. I have the color mixed in by my local paint supplier in their interior color line. I don't use Dupont much any more since they have jacked the price thru the roof. You can also use SEM in quarts, especially if going black. Allow to dry at least overnight or a couple of days and reinstall. That should cover most of the steps. You can always PM me if you need more details or have questions. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have a compressor and a cheap spray gun. What is a budget filter setup for something like spraying panels. Can you just get away with maybe doubling up gun filters

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    I have a compressor and a cheap spray gun. What is a budget filter setup for something like spraying panels. Can you just get away with maybe doubling up gun filters
    Depends on your compressor, where, and when you are spraying. Smaller compressors have to work harder and can often have more moisture issues. Obviously draining the tank before starting helps, using a gun filter helps, and preferably some inline filter such as a Motorguard M30 is a good start for the occasional spraying.

https://www.tooltopia.com/motorguard...kaApzNEALw_wcB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I got I pretty sure a 30gallon 5 hp compressor. Ok I'll look into that. Just don't wanna spend a fortune to paint a few interior panels.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk