Close

Thread: Engine upgrades

Default Engine upgrades

Looking for some real world information or possibly someone who has expirence. I have an 84 t bird, came with a 3.8 but it was locked up. I swapped to a 87 5.0 out of an Ltd crown Vic. I went thru the engine bearings gaskets etc everything. Built it for the wife so I wasn’t planning anything crazy. Now I feel like it needs a tad more. Cars a c5 auto car 3.73 rear gears, 600 cfm Holley and weiand dual plane intake. My question is how limited am I with these pistons and heads. Heads are e5s and pistons are stock cast flat tops. I have several 5.0s laying around and could just swap to a HO motor. But this one is flawless and sealed up tight. What’s my options for heads and cam before I run into piston clearness issues. Thanks in advance

The E5 heads are basically the E7 heads...in fact they were used early on in 87. They have huge combustion chambers, but if you have the units used in the early 87 year you would be fine. You could mill them if the earlier, but why since you are already pulling them. If not, find you some GT40p heads as they will bump your compression ratio about a point. With this you should be able to get a decent cam in the .500" range. Is this a roller cam block?

For the pistons, I wouldn't worry about it as you are not going wild and those lighter cast flat tops will do you better for what you are talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bwguardian; 09-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yeah its a roller block. I’ve heard mixed things about the pistons needing notched for a head or cam swap. Never checked piston to valve when the engine was apart. Never really thought I’d do anything more since I have a lot of projects. Cars just so fun to drive. I have a set of aluminum heads laying around. Can’t remember the brand off my head but pretty sure there 2.02 and 1.60 valves with .550 springs. I was considering swapping to them, but somewhere I remember reading that the e5 heads had recessed combustion chambers for the flat top pistons and the valves were up inside the chambers further for piston to valve clearance. First time messing with these heads so honestly I’m unsure about any of that. But I recall hearing that somewhere. I looked for a set of gt40s at the local junkyard and couldn’t find a set. Most have been taken already. I’ll keep my eyes open. But was considering those aluminum heads and possibly a b or e cam. Just worried about clearance, looking for something that will be a basic switch that someone has done and can confirm clearance is fine. Before I order a cam etc. thanks

If the stock slugs are in it, there should be 4 valve reliefs in the tops of the pistons. The 82-84 5.0's had those pistons and then the 85 was the same, except they went to forged units. Then the 86 had no valve reliefs and this is the year that you probably remember hearing about the odd heads. The 87 slugs were the same as the 85's except there is a center dished area...maybe 4cc's worth...for some reason. I have the GT40p heads with the E cam and like it alot. The 110 LSA works well with the carburetor...but my car is a stick and not an auto.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yeah there the ones with the center dish your talking about. Was told it was out of an 87 Vic but you know how that goes. If you run the same setup with gt40s and an e cam. I’d be really intrested to hear more on your setup. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 80Merccapri View Post
    Yeah there the ones with the center dish your talking about. Was told it was out of an 87 Vic but you know how that goes. If you run the same setup with gt40s and an e cam. I’d be really intrested to hear more on your setup. Thanks
    With the 4 valve reliefs you should be fine but I would get the combustion chamber small given that center dish.

My bottom end is stock and I have the original stock 4180c carb that I tweaked a little. This sits on top of a Ford Racing dual plane high rise intake manifold. The heads were fresh out of the machine shop with good springs...set up for .550 clearance...and 10* retainers. I think the dizzy has been tweaked a little too. It has Ford Racing stainless headers that go into an offroad X-pipe and free flowing mufflers. It has an 8.8 out back with 3.27 gears. Car sounds really good...may have a youtube or 2 you can look at...and pulls hard past 6,000 rpms. It's a weekend toy and I know there is better hardware out there but I'm not worried about racing...just playing...
    HAD

HAVE

That’s basically what I’m trying to do with this. Just a cruiser that can be somewhat quick. I’ll ask this if it was yours and you had those center dished pistons, what cam/Heads would you run. Or would you swap motors to a 4 valve relief setup piston?

Quote Originally Posted by 80Merccapri View Post
    That’s basically what I’m trying to do with this. Just a cruiser that can be somewhat quick. I’ll ask this if it was yours and you had those center dished pistons, what cam/Heads would you run. Or would you swap motors to a 4 valve relief setup piston?
    So you don't have the 4 valve reliefs in the tops of the slugs?
    HAD

HAVE

No there the center dish ones.

Haven't seen those before. I would fly cut the pistons...you can get a tool and do it with the engine still in the car. Get some decent small combustion chamber heads on it. Is the cam a roller unit?
    HAD

HAVE

Default Engine upgrades

I have an ‘85 roller block. Has the forged flat top 4 relief pistons and E7 heads with 1.90/1.60 valves. I am running a 225/232 .536/.547 cam and have plenty of PTV clearance. Just to give you an idea of what can fit. Always check the PTV though. If it were me I would be looking to put on some heads with smaller chambers than the E5s to give you a bump in compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Adriver; 09-25-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I cannot seem to find much on these pistons. I guess the only thing I could do is check the clearenece I have with the stock cam and go from there.

Default Engine upgrades

If you have the aluminum heads throw them on and check it. Chances are you are going to have a ton of clearance with the stock cam. Just my personal opinion but I would go with the F cam over the B or E. Oh wait, just remembered you have an auto. Might be better off with the E cam.

Last edited by Adriver; 09-25-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Yea I may make this a winter project. I’ll prob go with the e cam I have an f cam in my Capri and it’s really nice but it’s a boosted manual car. I think heads and a cam would wake the motor up though. Car runs really well so part of me wants to leave it but the other half wants more for it.

I know the feeling. Just did heads and cam on my Capri. Still getting the bugs worked out of it. I felt the same way, it ran great. But the clutch started to go so I just did it all at once.