Close

Default What's the best way to do this.

I have a 5.0 that I want to change the cam, intake, and carb. I want to use an e303 cam. What do I need far as, what needs to be done to my heads what kind of intake would be best, single or dual plane and what size carb. I already haveheaders and 2.5 in xpipe. Running 373 years 5 speed.
    The heads are gt40p heads.

FEP Member

As long as you aren't running an '86 block with no valve reliefs and have some good springs in those GT40Ps, you should be good to go there.

Single planes generally make a little more peak power, but don't have the low end of a dual plane. For the carb I imagine somewhere in the 650 range, but I'll defer to others since I don't have any direct experience with this combo.

E303 is ancient tech. Save another $100 and get a better quality one that will have a wider powerband and/or higher peak.
    '86 Mustang GT T-top. GT40P swap, Maximum Motorsports subframe/coilovers, MGW shifter
    (RIP) '86 Mustang GT, T-top. Cipher's old car
    '91 Wrangler. 4.0, 5 speed, 8.8 swapped, locked, lifted, caged
    -Steve

FEP Member

What will you use the car for, most of the time? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, drag strip, road course?

Likely Faster to pull the motor and trans then put it back when done given how far apart it’s coming. Good opp to regasket

You’ll want to run appropriate valve springs for the E cam. It isn’t a big cam, but stock valve springs from GT40P heads won’t handle it. The E cam is better suited to a dual plane intake like the Weiand Stealth or performer rpm. I think you’ll like the dual plane intake much better than the single plane on that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the E cam with GT40p heads, Ford Racing high rise dual plane intake, and a modified stock 4180c carburetor. The intake is very similar to the ones mentioned above. The heads were fresh when I installed them and it has dual springs with I think 115-120 lbs. on the seat and 280-300 lbs. off with .550" lift capable. The car has plenty of low end torque and pulls hard to 6,200 rpm. I also have the Ford Racing stainless headers made for the GT40p heads with an offroad X-pipe.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

86 with stock E6 heads and factory gaskets have a lift limit of 0.495 based upon the ones I’ve seen measured. To go farther or run a bigger valve reliefs or a twisted wedge head are needed

A stock HO roller cam with 1.7:1 lifters will product more area under the curve than an E cam in most cases.

Intake change will make vastly more difference initially than swapping heads and leaving intake stock. Aftermarket Headers or way too much time porting the Stock headers available on the later cars is a must too.

Stock E6 heads, a very mild SD friendly cam, and a Typhoon EFI combined with 65MM TB and spacer and BBK 1 5/8” equal shorty headers and 2.5” exhaust with high flow cats and cat back yields a car that pulls to the 6250 rev limiter.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.