Close

Thread: Chasing Codes

Default Chasing Codes

All my friends out there. I have finally gotten the chance to chase the codes to discover issues that may or may not be plaguing my 86 3.8 convertible. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there is not "Check Engine" light on an 86. so i followed some instructions from the link (https://www.troublecodes.net/ford/eectest/) and ran a test light from the battery to the spade connector as shown.

My test light came on shining bright, I think I saw some flickers but was not sure. So I thought it was due to the incandesant bulb in the test lamp.

So I rigged up a LED light thinking that it would be able to blink. Again same story. Shining bright with flickers but no pronounced blinking with which to decipher.

Any ideas on how to do this so I can read the blinks?

https://youtu.be/z0ehA8cFTkc

Here's me running codes on an 87 tbird. I explain and count the blinks. I also do a key on engine running test and show how to hook stuff up in one of the videos on my channel.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Excellent. Guess I am going to have to get an analog voltmeter. By the way, looked cold doing that with that white stuff all over the ground!

Thank you

When i went to chase codes in my 3.8 i had to buy a whole new reader.

even then i had to ground the reader harness.

hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1986 Mustang "Frankenstang" '03 IRS 3.8 CFI
    1997 Crown Victoria, partially Grand Marquis

You can use anything. I used to ise a 1156 bulb I soldered wires to. I have also used an old computer speaker that was just a 12v buzzer (that's all the code readers really are) or even just a test light.

The digital meters usually do not update the screen fast enough to see the codes flash. Thats why I was using that big old volt meter.

We had recently cleaned out my grandpas garage after he died for a yard sale. We got to keep anything we wanted after the yard sale was over, and I picked this. Its nice abd big, thought it would be good for a video.

And yeah, it was cold. That was around the time I did my t-5. It was -12°f for like a month in January.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Okay, I made a mistake. I jumpered the module as shown however, when I went to ground off in the spade plug...there were two of them identical. Evidently i hooked up into the wrong one as since I attempted to do this , my car would not start. I checked the spark and noticed I was getting a real weak spark so I ordered and installed a new ignition module. the car will now start but runs as if the timing is completely out of whack. For the record, i have not touched the timing.

I am at wits end with this. I have no idea what may be wrong. All I now know is that the car will start after serious cranking but runs rough as hell and will not idle.

Please help with any ideas.