Close

Thread: Fan and clutch

Default Fan and clutch

My water pump decided to go out and take the radiator and fan out with it. I got a new pump and radiator on the war from lmr but their fans and clutch are out of stock. Rock auto has them for the 86+ body but not for 82 gt. I have seen something like a new style fan wont work on a four eye clutch but if I buy a new style clutch and fan they will bolt to my 82 pump correct?

Really want electric fan but just tore a ACL and MCL so most my cash is going to my leg and cant afford to do fan, controller, and 3g alternator right now.

Thanks for any replies

My fan was $60 shipped, controller $60 shipped, and 3g alternator was $20. A few bucks for wiring, fuses, and relay... super cheap if you order that stuff online. You can get a junkyard fan even cheaper. If you don't want to spend money on a controller, buy a $5 switch.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but this is just an idea so youcan compare costs. After doing the e-fan/3g upgrades, I don't think I could ever go back to the stock setup. Plus, there's safety factor with eliminating the factory fire-hazard alternator wiring. It's a huge bump in peace-of-mind.

Your best bet is an entire fan and clutch from a salvage yard or 3G and electric fan from a salvage yard.

The parts are out there. You may try posting on wanted to buy or ping the Facebook group and ask. Or even ask for help but don’t forget to pay it forward to someone else down the line.

Love this community BTW! Imagine finding every Saleen part for an 85 without that type of help. Pretty awe inspiring honestly.

well i was looking at taurus/contour/mark fans online new around 80-100
    everyone seemed to recommend a dcc controller over cheapos so I figured 150 there
    ebay 3g 80/ lmr 4g wire and reg 80--160

so I was thinking more 300-400 verse 50-100 for fan and clutch if needed.

I like to get new stuff whenever possible as I hate to do stuff twice and not sure if gamble for JY fan or alternator is worth it. Plus I went saturday to local yard and all fans were gone and couldnt find a 3g alternator. It was like someone went and grabbed all fans lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    My fan was $60 shipped, controller $60 shipped, and 3g alternator was $20. A few bucks for wiring, fuses, and relay... super cheap if you order that stuff online. You can get a junkyard fan even cheaper. If you don't want to spend money on a controller, buy a $5 switch.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but this is just an idea so youcan compare costs. After doing the e-fan/3g upgrades, I don't think I could ever go back to the stock setup. Plus, there's safety factor with eliminating the factory fire-hazard alternator wiring. It's a huge bump in peace-of-mind.
    which fan and module are you running?

easiest way to convert to an E fan
    Contour dual or Taurus single Fan from a junkyard for $40. never had one go bad on me in 15 years
    Flex a lite 33054 Controller $120
    94-95 mustang junkyard 3 G alternator $30
    Ebay 4 gauge power wire with 150 amp inline fuse $30
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

FEP Member

User name r**3_82gt has an ad in the "free parts" section regarding an alternator and stuff. I replied to the ad but haven't had a response. If you need those parts, you might PM. I was just looking for spares.

Thinking of doing a condor fan swap as mine is overheating at idle with the factory 2 blade with a shroud.
    I want to stay v belt 1g alt setup. Can I not just get a 100anp 1g alt and be done with it if my factory is not good enough?
    78 302 if wondering.