Close

Thread: Fuel tank help

Default Fuel tank help

I have a 85 Capri RS that I am swapped out the fuel tank. After getting the tank installed I noted that the new tank has no hole were the filler tube bracket bolts to the fuel tank. I am a little worried about drilling a hole in the tank, is this bracket needed, can i just tie it up for now, is it ok to drill a hole close to the edge as I can?.

It supports the filler neck. I wouldn't call it necessary, but I'd want it there. It's should be a breeze to drill a little 1/4" hole on the flange.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I would recommend installing the bracket and drilling the hole.

I would also recommend measuring twice and only drill once! Don't do like my buddy and drill too close to the actual tank and drill into the tank itself!
    Luckily I was able to weld up the mis-drill and drill the hole in the appropriate location and make it all work. Start with an 1/8" or so small drill bit and then enlarge slightly for the screw as needed. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok thanks for the help, I was not sure if there was room to put a hole, I will give it a try.

Thanks again for the help it looks like I drilled the hole in the correct place. I will find out on the first fill up.