Close

Default What rack and pinion unit for my 1980 Mustang?

So the inner tie rod of my 1980 Mustang is shot and I'm thinking about just replacing the entire steering unit at the same time. The current steering rack is too light and has no road feel whatsoever, and I would like to tighten up the steering ratio a bit.

What is the best steering unit to select? Will all steering units from 1979 through 1986 fit properly? Is there a particular model year that would offer a tighter steering ratio?

I was guessing/hoping that perhaps a 1983 through 85 GT unit would bolt right onto my 1980 model and be a step up.

Any thoughts or advice you might have are very much appreciated, thank you!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sopwith21; 08-31-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Did that update to my 79.. Had TRW rack vari-ratio from factory. Replaced 2007.
    FF 2014, tried everything but determined #2 rebuilt TRW rack was ng from the start.
    Too hard to get another 79 TRW (#3) anywhere. Cost was high. Had to send rack in for rebuild.
    The lighter feel was fine, but not worth premium cost and iffy rebuild quality.

Thus, when #2 rack got really bad loose, decided to update to 15:1. No regrets.
    The early racks have decent core value so don't scrap it. Cash it in. Sell core to rebuilder.

2015, went with 83 GT version. 15:1 sport rack. Much easier to find. Still drives like new.
    Changed rack, pump, hoses. Matching pump, hoses are a must. All 1983 version. Bought ps filter too.
    Reinstalled outer tie rod lock nuts on new rack. Used same number/year new outer tie rod ends (1979 in this case),
    No noise, leaks, anything. Bolted right up. Rack fit like before. Same bolts.
    Has heavier feel. Took some getting used to. Less movement needed turning.
    Came with rack travel limiters pre installed.

Issues:
    The newer version racks are indexed differently from early racks. Steering wheel wound up upside down.
    There are a few ways to correct this. Cannot be done adjusting tie rod ends.
    Decided to remove steering wheel and reinstall 180. Can do that on early cars. Not for the faint of heart.

There are several past posts/threads and pics on this site that detail the part numbers and notes.

Many thanks, that's great info (and the core advice was fantastic). And yes, I found a massive prior thread on this and spent an hour reading the whole thing.

Looks like my choices now are 1) go with the 15:1 '83 GT rack as planned, or 2) I've had several people tell me that the '93 GT rack was a straight bolt up as well and did great.

Any advice? Thanks again.

FEP Supporter

One issue that may have been in one of the threads you read is the PS pump.

Many feel the PS pump (and hoses due to rack connections) needs to be upgraded to the "newer" model when upgrading the TRW rack to the Ford one. There were thoughts that under hard lock to lock steering that you could run out of assist.

When I did my 82, I did change the pump and hoses too.