Close

Default Swapping bezel on trunk and door locks

I've got a set of SSP single key locks with stainless polished bezels. My car is white with original black bezels, and I'd like to keep the black bezels even if the center gate is polished. Can the bezels be swapped between the two?

I don't believe there is an easy way to swap the bezels between the lock sets. I have never tried to do that, so I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain you will most likely damage one or both sets in trying.

I would recommend talking to your local powder coating guy and see if he can powder coat the outer bezel for you in a satin/matte black. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It's possible. There are little tabs you bend back to take it off, but it's delicate work. At least on the last '90s lockset I dealt with ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It is "only" stainless steel. You could scuff up the metal with 400 or finer sandpaper and spray a good primer and black paint. If it's prepared properly it should be fairly durable.

FEP Power Member

Sounds like you just need the locks rekeyed. I believe you can take your old black ones to a lock smith and have them rekeyed. I’m sure I read here years ago someone did swap bezels but I can’t vision it being done without damage. Again maybe a locksmith.

I have a set sitting around for EBay, I should take a look at.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

You can't rekey the round-key locks to work with square keys. They have different shaped holes and you can't put a square key into a round-key lock.

I thought about painting or powder coating. Done that on many parts. But the bezels are a black chrome, something that I don't think I can have duplicated without disassembly.

Dang. Hoped it would be easier.

On Edit: looks like paint is going to be the easy way out.
    Last edited by modernbeat; 08-28-2018 at 09:24 PM.

FEP Super Member

Re key means to change the tumbles to match , key style stays the same .
    This is what I do to get what I want .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Can the standard trunk lock housing accept the tumbler/cylinder from the SSP housing? If it can, that would be the easiest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Sounds like you just need the locks rekeyed. I believe you can take your old black ones to a lock smith and have them rekeyed.
    I called a locksmith the other day about rekeying cylinders and I got an immediate and very matter-of-fact "We don't do that". Could just be an overzealous dispatcher who doesn't know what she's talking about though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Or not much of a locksmith.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Okay so i just took mine apart. What you do is pry the bezel off the main housing from the back. It's wrapped around it, so you pry that lip up. It looks to me like you can change the type of key by swapping inner housings and front covers (the pieces in the middle of the pic with the round holes and on the bottom right). Me, I'm swapping tumblers to the lighted Illuminated Entry key locks so I can use my existing key.

I wasn't that careful with the bezel pictured because I won't be reusing it, but you should be able to be careful and keep yours nice. Good luck!
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-29-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

This is rather challenging. I will need to carefully keep track of the tumblers when I take the other side apart and then copy that on this side. Not impossible, but not easy. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how they go by trial and error. The inner ones are easy, but how the outer ones go isn't making sense in my mind right now. I'll post up how it goes.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-29-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

We used to have a special ford tool that crimps the cover for the lock cylinders. Back in the day when you replaced the lock cylinder at the dealer you had to code it to the old key with a tumbler set and springs and then use the tool to crimp on the trim cap. They used to come with both chrome and black. I have some black ones I’ve saved over the years.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    We used to have a special ford tool that crimps the cover for the lock cylinders. Back in the day when you replaced the lock cylinder at the dealer you had to code it to the old key with a tumbler set and springs and then use the tool to crimp on the trim cap. They used to come with both chrome and black. I have some black ones I’ve saved over the years.
    Yeah, that sure would make things easier.

I did finally succeed and get both of mine back together. I tapped that lip back down with a hammer, and that did the job.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Consider vinyl wrapping it also if paint isn't your friend.